03 October 2006

1 October 2006

Observing LocationMetropolitan Ave @ McGraw Ave, The Bronx, NY
Observational Period1815-1830 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions
Cloud CoverMostly Clear
TemperatureCool
HumidityLow
WindCalm
Feels LikeCool


TransparencyGood
SeeingFair
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationVir
CategorySolar
Time2006 EDT
Comments
Heliographic
Latitude
(B0
+6.68°
Heliographic
Longitude
(L0)
219.29°
Position
Angle
(PA)
+26.02&ceg;
Carrington
Rotation
Number
(CR)
2048

The sun was sinking down into the dense atmosphere. I could see a line of haze across the lower portion of the disc. The limb didn't look round. I could see two spots, one over the other, one in each hemisphere a short distance off the eastern limb. Tonight Kin reported having seen three spots today.

 Groups SpotsR
North1 1 11
South1 1 11
Total2 2 22
R = (Geoups * 10) + Spots)

Group 913
Heliographic
Latitude
+4°
Heliographic
Longitude
173°
McIntosh SystemAxx
This group is in the southern hemisphere and it appears to be the larger of the two. The spot is black and is surrounded by a large void area in the granularity of the disc. I do not detect any penumbra.
Group 914
Heliographic
Latitude
-10°
Heliographic
Longitude
173°
McIntosh SystemAxx
This is the northern hemisphere spot. It is darker today than it appeared two days ago when I first saw it. There may be a void area around the spot.



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period1745-2000 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsIt was a little chilly and the air felt moist although my bags didn't feel wet when I left.
Cloud CoverMostly Cloudy
TemperatuerCool
HumidityNoticeable
WindCalm
Feels LikeChilly


TransparencyFair
SeeingGood
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
I.R. Optics 8-25x25 binocular with ruby coated objectives - Kin
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

TargetMoon
ConstellationSgr
CategoryLunar
Time20061001.1950 EDT
Comments
Lunation1036
PhaseWaxing Gibbous
9d12h4m
Elongation109.18deg;E
% Illuminated64%
Magnitude-10.9
Altitude23.14deg;
  • The image really looks crisp along the terminator.
  • The Teneriffe Mountains and Mt Pico are standing out nicely
  • Archimedes, Aristillus and Autolycus on the floor of Mare Imbrium and Erastosthenes between the Apennine Mountains and Sinus Aestuum look great with shadow on the inside western walls
  • Tycho is lit with shadow on the western wall but the rays are barely visible
  • The Apennines are showing shadow on the eastern slope but the Caucasus Mountains are hard to see. The Alps have a little shadow up on the northern end near the Alpine Valley.
  • Western Carpathian Mountains are just starting to come out of the shadow.

TargetOwl Cluster, ET cluster, NGC457
ConstellationCas
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time20061001.2115 EDT
CommentsI think I saw the eyes, but that is all. I saw two stars of unequal brightness near where Planetarium shows the cluster. When we saw it in the Dob Friday night it was standing fairly upright so I think it should be hanging upside down in a binocular view. Planetarium appears to have a pair of brighter stars beneath the cluster which is what I think I was seeing. On the other hand, since I don't know how big the cluster is I may have been looking at something totally unrelated.

TargetNeptune
ConstellationCap
CategoryPlanet
Time20061001.2150 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
I didn't see any more tonight with my binocular mounted on the tripod than I had on Friday when I was hand holding the optics. To be sure, the sky was a lot better on Friday.

TargetUranus
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanet
Time20061001.2155 EDT
CommentsI thought I might have a chance at Uranus since it is brighter than Neptune and in the same field of view as an even brighter naked-eye star. I was able to find the water jar in Sgr but when I started dropping down toward the planet I ran into clouds and couldn't find the stars I needed to continue the hop.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.