08 September 2006

8 September 2006

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period0930-0945 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsIt isn't great out. CSC had said it would be clear and average transparency at 0900 EDT and right around 0850 EDT the sun began poking through the clouds. There is still a lot of haze up there. It is already got and no wind.
TransparencyGood
SeeingExcellent
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationLeo
CategorySolar
Time20060908.0930 EDT
Comments
Heliphraphic Latitude(B0) +7.25°
Heliographic Longitude (L0) 167.83°
Position Angle
(P)
+22.78°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2047

It looks like they decided group 908 is more than the sum of UTF parts. 908 has disappeared from the map and 907 and 909 appear in UTF place. It if hard to make itllout complex spot numbering on the little index map but it looks like the p-spots of the 908 group were renumbered 909 and the f-spot is now 907.

I just checked in on the Rayben Active Solar Regions web page and they are still showing group 908 where group 904 is on Space Weather

904
Heliographic Latitude -17°
Heliographic Longitude 124°
McIntosh SystemDao
The group now has a smaller, although still large, f-spit that is in the edge of the penumbra of the primary spot.
907
Heliographic Latitude -10°
Heliographic Longitude 159°
McIntosh SystemAxx
This is the middle of the there groups and is closest to group 909. It appears to be a fairly large solitary spot without penumbra.
909
Heliographic Latitude -16°
Heliographic Longitude -35°
McIntosh SystemAxo
This is now the leading group moving across the dusk and us close to the meridian. All I can see is two faint spots.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South3 5 35
Total3 5 35
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



I have been awaiting the arrival of last week's issue of Nature at the library. I wanted to read about the recently observed super nova. It finally arrived today and while scanning it for the announcements I found a good article on the Pluto controversy. It is one of the few articles that I have read that isn't taking a side in the debate on what a planet is and whether or nor the right thing was done relative to Pluto.

While reading that article I was delayed by a 15-minute warning on the launch of the space shuttle so I quickly went downstairs and got an internet connection to watch the launch only to are them opening the shuttle to let the crew out, the launch having been scrubbed earlier due to a fuel cell issue.

I continued watching through the post scrub press conference and felt that the mission managers made a credible explanation of their decision rationale but am still not convinced that they are now revising the rules due to feeling pressure to get the Shuttle back into the air on schedule.

Back into Nature there is a series of posts that were made to a Nature blog by one of the attending scientists at the IAU assembly giving a near real time view of the war.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.