24 September 2006
I looked at the weather forecasts Friday evening and Saturday morning and listened to NOAA Weather Radio and it sounded like it would be cloudy and that there was a good chance of rain. I decided to go down to the library and use their high speed internet to upload my pictures and blog post.
When I left the house the sidewalks were still wet from overnight rain. The shy was completely overcast. I headed downtown.
On reaching 34 St there was a backup on the subway steps as people who had umbrellas were trying to open them in the stairwell and those without thought they were made of sugar. It was raining moderately and I was feeling vindicated. I continued on to the library.
When I attached to the internet there was a message from the work party organizer saying it was raining in queens and that the party was mostly cancelled. He was still going to the radio shack in case it cleared off and they could mount the antenna that has been occupying most of his van. I settled in and began processing posts and shrinking pictures.
A while later I checked the email to find a message dating 'guess what, the sun is shining brightly and we are going to work.' By this time it was too late to get to either Queens or Rockefeller Center for either event.
CSC said that the clouds would clear out in the evening but that transparency would be poor. This was fine with me since I had a sea chantey to attend. I checked on the sky several times during the evening and always found clouds and only one star.
I stopped off at B&N this afternoon to browse the astronomy books and see if there are any recent addition that are must haves or at least try-to-borrow-from-the -library. There was nothing there today but I did pick up this year's SkyWatch in which I am greatly disappointed. Either there is not going to be anything of interest happening in the sky during 2007 or the are keeping it secret to force people to but the monthly magazine. I got more basic information out of my farmer's almanac.
I also picked up the September issue of BBC Sky at Night because the cover CD says it contains everything I need to know about solar observing, which I am looking forward to seeing. There is a feature article on the Moon with a spectacular Apollo 10 image of Keeler Crater. This has to be one of the most stunning lunar pictures I have ever seen. I can only imagine what a large size photographic print would look like.
NASA image
full size image here
[updated 26Sep06]
On the Concourse level of Rockefeller Center there is a new display of Star Trek memorabilia that is being auctioned off. I was told that the auction begins at 0600 EDT tomorrow but it looks more like that is when the display officially opens. They have a collection of ship models, control consoles, furniture and costumes. Many of the items are electrified. The prices on the costumes and furniture seem reasonable to me, ranging from a couple hundred dollars up to $1,500. Some of the ship models are a little pricey. I will get to get back with some high speed film and get pictures of it all. It is hard to believe that this is a 40th anniversary auction.
There are 999 lots in the sale of which there are fewer than 100 on display. Everything can be seen in the online catalog. Their pictures are clearer than mine, but smaller. And may not be around after the auction.
40 Years of Star Trek:
The Collection
Stardate 10.5-7 2006
www.christies.com/startrek
Star Cruiser USS Lakota
Vulcan Ceremonial Gong, Romulan Furniture
Control and Engineering Consoles
Pin Cushion Man
<< Home