21 September 2006

20 September 2006

When you sit with a nice girl for two hours, it seems like two minutes; when you sit on a hot stove for two minutes, it seems like two hours. That's relativity
Albert Einstein



Observing LocationPAC
Observational Period1230-1245 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsMostly clear with a few scattered cotton balls, Mild with a light breeze.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationVir
CategorySolar
Time20060920.1230 EDT
Comments
Heliphraphic Latitude
(B0)
+7.10°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
7.30°
Position Angle
(P)
+24.90°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2047

I recovered group 910 today and it is really small. It is the only thing I can see.

Group 910
Heliographic Latitude -13°
Heliographic Longitude 331°
McIntosh SystemAxx
The spot is small and was not immediately seen. It if too small to are a penumbra if any exists.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South1 1 11
Total1 1 11
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period
Atmospheric ConditionsI had planned to go to the park tonight but when I came home from dinner the sky was obscured by heavy clouds and there was a strong, cool, moist wind blowing and it felt like rain. When I looked out of my bedroom window later in the night I saw stars to the east. Both Kin and Peter reported seeing clear skies and lots of stars and Kin, who made his observation from TotL, corroborated my wind observation. The cloud cover is as CSC said it would be but they also said the clearing would not occur until 2200 EDT and it didn't seem like a good idea to head downtown for such a short duration observing period if it did occur, when I plan to get up at 0300 EDT tomorrow morning to go down to CSP to observe the last crescent Moon.
Transparency
Seeing
Instruments
Observing Party

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.