19 September 2006

18 September 2006

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1545-1600 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsAccording to CSC it was supposed to be cloudless with better than average seeing until 2200 EDT tonight when a brief interval of light clouds occurs. But it just ain't so. It was mostly cloudy here and I had to wait until this afternoon when it cleared off so I could search for sunspots. It is warm with occasional breezes..
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationVir
CategorySolar
Time20060918.1545 EDT
Comments
Heliphraphic Latitude
(B0)
+7.14°
Heliographic Longitude
(L0)
32.24°
Position Angle
(P)
+24.63°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2047

The sun passed from Leo into Vergo at around 1900 EDT Saturday night, 16Sep06.

There is only one spot on the sun today.

910
Heliographic Latitude -13°
Heliographic Longitude 338°
McIntosh SystemAxx
This appears to be one medium size spot without penumbra.

 Groups SpotsR
North000
South1111
Total1111
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period1745-2330 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsConditions were worse than CSC had predicted. They were calling for cloudless skies and above average transparency. Transparency appeared to me to be below average. There were a few clouds passing through but they were light and hard to detect in the haze. It became very humid and breezy and, as a result, cool. I saw more stars naked eye Saturday night at home staring into the flood lights than I did here tonight. Seeing was variable.
TransparencyPoor
SeeingFair
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

TargetJupiter
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanet
Time20060918.2000 EDT
CommentsWe saw two moons off the leading limb. Initially thought they were the α Lib double but then discovered that the status page of Planetarium was set up for SAR even though it indicated otherwise.

TargetNeptune
ConstellationCap
CategoryPlanet
Time20060918.2100 EDT
CommentsKin wanted to are Uranus but I tagged the wrong line in the Planetarium pick list and didn't notice the symbol was a trident rather than an upside down female symbol so hopped here instead.

TargetUranus
ConstellationAqr
CategoryPlanet
Time20060918.2110 EDT
CommentsAfter discovering that I had hopped to the wrong planet I went up to Enif and easily hopped down to the water jar and from there to Uranus.

TargetAndromeda Galaxy, M31
ConstellationAnd
CategoryDSO: Gal
Time20060918.2122 EDT
CommentsI found M31 easily but could not find M32 or M103.

TargetPlane
Constellation
CategoryPlane
Time20060918.2127 EDT
CommentsWhile looking in Andromeda I saw what I thought was a satellite pass through And and Cas and overhead to the south. It was bright but looked strange like the light was coming from two places. I wondered if it might be the ISS in its new configuration and got the glasses on it. It turned out to be a plane with no strobe lights or colored lights. There were several white lights visible and the tail and left wing tip lights were brighter than the rest. I noted that there were no other planes in sight at the time, which is unusual. Normally there are about a half dozen planes in sight at any time during normal passenger service hours. I am wondering If I saw Air Force One. I would have expected it to have been accompanied by fighter keys though. I see in the news that Bush is in town Tuesday for a UN meeting.

TargetM34, NGC1039
ConstellationPer
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time20060918.2147 EDT
CommentsM34 Appears in 3 catalogs in Planetarium in two different places in the sky. Found the M34 that is where two of the catalogs show it to be. My Measure catalog in Planetarium shows this as an open cluster while another catalog is shoeing it as a globular.

TargetNGC1245
ConstellationPer
CategoryDSO: GCl
Time20060918.2158 EDT
CommentsI saw one point of light there.

TargetNGC1528
ConstellationPer
CategoryDSO: GCl
Time20060918.2206 EDT
CommentsNot Seen

TargetNGC1513
ConstellationPer
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time20060918.2220 EDT
CommentsNot Seen

TargetNGC957
ConstellationPer
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time20060918.2230 EDT
CommentsDetected.
I saw light where the cluster is supposed to be.

TargetDouble Cluster, NGC869/NGC884
ConstellationPer
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time20060918.2232 EDT
CommentsI got here by accident. I slewed over it and knew it must be something but I didn't recognize it since it didn't look anything like Peter's higher magnification views that full the FoV.

TargetNGC637
ConstellationCas
CategoryDSO: GCl
Time20060918.2248 EDT
CommentsNot Seen

TargetNGC659, NGC663, & NGC654
ConstellationCas
CategoryDSO: OCl. GCl, & GCl
Time20060918.2250 EDT
Comments I can't say that I detected any of them but it felt like there was something there.

TargetM103, NGC581
ConstellationCas
CategoryDSO: OCl,, Star Hop
Time20060918.2300 EDT
CommentsBelow Ruchbah, δ Cas (2 Cas), look for 3 stars in a frown. To the lower left of that are two stars slightly inclined to the angle of the frown. Hanging beneath the left star are two fainter stars. These there stars are M103.

TargetNGC559
ConstellationCas
CategoryDSO: GCl
Time20060918.2313 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
The surface brightness is below the limiting magnitude of my binocular.

TargetNGC637
ConstellationCas
CategoryDSO: OCl
Time20060918.2320 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
could see an Mag. 8.42 star but not a nearby Mag. 8.66, confirming my feeling that, with my eyes, the limiting magnitude if my binocular is Mag 8.5.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.