12 September 2006
| Observing Location | NY Hall of Science, Corona, Queens, NY
Lat , Long | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 2000-2230 EDT | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | Cool; no clouds, haze. I have not observed extensively here but I think the air has been more transparent on other occasions.
| ||||
| Instruments | Naked-eye Observing - Charlie | ||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
I was here for a meeting of the Hall of Science Amateur Radio Club. Unbeknownst to me the presentation tonight was on increasing radio signal range by bouncing the signal off of momentary localized atmospheric ionization caused my meteor showers. When you do this to establish communication with another ham station it is called forward scatter while it is called back scatter if you reflect your signal off the ionization and receive it yourself. About half of the talk was about astronomy and some of that bad astronomy.
After the meeting I stood in the parking lot ape a while looking at the stars. Although it seemed that transparency was lacking I saw more stars in Perseus than I have seen since lady winter when he was high in the sky. ε Cas, which I normally have to work at, was easily seen.
<< Home