12 September 2006

10 September 2006

Observing LocationPSC
Observational Period1055-1110 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsMostly clear and sunny; Light haze; mild temperatures; light to moderate breeze. The fainter spots would sometimes disappear when a wisp of cloud passed.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular w/Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
ConstellationLeo
CategorySolar
Time20060910.1055 EDT
Comments
Heliphraphic Latitude(B0)+7.25°
Heliographic Longitude (L0)140.53°
Position Angle
(P)
+23.20°
Carrington rotation number
(CR)
2047

I am not sure how many groups are there today but it looks like group 907 that was there for a day earlier in the week has reformed. That is borne out by the Active Regions Explorer. Space Weather is showing an old image again so can't be relief upon. They are only showing spots 904 and 908. I am going to call it two groups because it just looks too big to be one. 909 is really loose enough that I could interpret it as three groups of single spots. The groups appear to be farther from the equator today.

904
Heliographic Latitude-17°
Heliographic Longitude127°
McIntosh SystemCao
The group continues to make slow progress toward the meridian and does not appear to be evolving any.
907
Heliographic Latitude-15°
Heliographic Longitude152°
McIntosh SystemAxx
This is a small faint solitary spot about as far away from group 904 as the individual spots of group 904 are from one another. The group is between groups 904 and 907 and is not much past the meridian.
909
Heliographic Latitude-17°
Heliographic Longitude176°
McIntosh SystemBxo
This is a loose group of two faint spots without penumbra. It is a large group although, because of the small size if the constituent spots, it doesn't occupy much disc area.

 Groups SpotsR
North0 0 0
South3 5 35
Total3 5 35
R = (Groups * 10) + Spots)



Observing LocationThe Quadrangle, Queens College, Jamaica, NY
Lat: 40°44'8.94", Long: -73°49'26.30"
This was the first Aftrobomy Night held by Queens Colllege.
Observational Period
Atmospheric ConditionsCompletely overcast. It had been good all day and all of a sudden at 1600 EDT the sky was obscured.
TransparencyNone
Seeing
Instruments
Observing Party

Queens College had scheduled their first public astronomy night for tonight. All of the weather forecasts I checked except for CSC said it would be clear tonight. CSC went their own way saying it would be a lousy night for astronomy and they ended up being the ones who were right. Kin went out there and said the college went ahead with the program even though they could only point the telescopes at a couple of stars.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.