09 June 2006

8 June 2006

Observing LocationMetropolitan Ave @ McGraw Ave
Observational Period2240-2255 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsWhen I got off the subway I scanned the sky and couldn't even tell where the Moon was. On my way back from the recycling dumpsters the clouds in front of the moon had thinned out and it was shining through so I stopped to watch.

It is cloudy and very humid tonight. There are two layers of clouds between me and the stars. The lower clouds are more scattered and moving very quickly, while the upper layer covers most of the sky with few breaks and is moving much more slowly. I was viewing through thin spots in the clouds.

TransparencyPoor
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye observing - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationLib
CategoryLunar
Time2006.0608.2240 EDT
CommentsThe Moon is very gibbous but obviously still not full. I saw Mare Imbrium and may have seen Mare Crissium. It was hard to tell when you were seeing a thick patch of cloud move across the Moon and when you were actually seeing the lunar features. Jupiter was up at the Moon's 1:30 but it was so subdued that I wasn't sure I wasn't looking at Zuben Elgenubi until the clouds thinned enough for Jupiter to become too bright to be anything else in that area of the sky (I didn't have my Palm with me so couldn't confirm the identity based on the PA).

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.