08 June 2006

6 June 2006

Hugh J Grant Circle, Bronx, NY
Observing Location
Observational Period2200-2215 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsThe forecast was for clouds and possible showers. When I got home there was a thin stripe of cloud above the Moon and denser clouds on the southern horizon. As I observed the low clouds moved closer until both Sirius and Jupiter were obscured. The air was a little cool and a little moist. There was no perceptible wind. On walking up from the subway I noted that most of the cars had water drops on them and the cracks in the pavement were wet so it had rained here sometime before my arrival.
 
TransparencyPoor
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye observing - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon, Spica & Jupiter alignment
ConstellationVir
CategoryLunar, Planet
Time20060606.2200 EDT
CommentsI thought tonight was the night when the Moon would be between Jupiter and Spic but I found that it was to the east of Spica. There was about a thumb-width of distance (~2°) between the Moon and Spica and about a fist-width of distance (~10°) between Spica and Jupiter. [3.15° and 16.67° center to center, respectively] The bulge of the terminator into the dark of the moon was more pronounced tonight. The same mare were noted as last night.

I was browsing through Blackberry books yesterday and saw a listing for a freeware program called MicroSky. Today I downloaded it and installed it on both my Blackberry and my Palm (it is a Java program so it works on both platforms, you just need to get the right installer).

The program needs an internet connection as you have to log into a server that generates sky charts on the fly. I can't use it on the blackberry since it is not connected to a service provider, but I did play a bit with it on the Palm tonight.

The graphics are a bit crude but usable. It would be really nice to have free Wi-Fi in the park and to have this capability. Kin plans to try it out on his Blackberry which is on a corporate data plan. The UI isn't as friendly on the Palm as that of Planetarium and I imagine it is even less so in the Blackberry where you don't have a touch screen.

There is a new version of the program due out sometime this month. It will likely have a facility for saving offline star charts.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.