29 June 2006

28 June 2006

Observing LocationParkchester, Bronx, NY
I was up at Met Oval sitting out in the heat with my ham radio and on the way home saw the crescent moon out to the west so swung over to White Plains Road and then down to the Cross Bronx Expressway. When the moon went behind the clouds I ran home and got the binoculars and went back to the Cross Bronx Expressway where I have the lowest western horizon.
Observational Period2200-2245 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsI would have to call it partly cloudy over a general haze. I only saw a couple of stars and don't know which ones they were. I looked for Jupiter but couldn't find it. It was warm and humid. There was no wind.
TransparencyPoor
Seeing
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMoon and Mars
ConstellationLeo & Cnc
CategoryLunar and Planet
Time20060628.2200 EDT
CommentsI could see the three day crescent Moon low in the western sky through a gap in the apartment buildings. It was a dusky yellow and looked huge. It went into the clouds shortly after I arrived at the Cross Bronx Expressway and never appeared again. Mars was nearly two degrees below it (center to center) and I was not able to see it naked eye in the haze. When I arrived back with the binoculars I wasn't even able to find a hint of the Moon shining through.

TargetIridium Flare
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time20060628.2243 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
A Mag 0 Iridium flare occurred at 2243 EDT but I didn't see it. I couldn't see any stars to get landmarks so had to guess at the location based on where I believe west to be and may have not been looking in the right spot. Just when the flare was to occur a stripe of fluffy cloud was passing through that area of the sky.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.