22 June 2006

21 June 2006

Observing Location McGraw-Hill Plaza. Avenue of the Americas at 50 St, New York, NY
Observational Period1130-1330 EDT
InstrumentsMinolta X700 35mm SLR camera with 35-70mm zoom lens u Charlie Olympus Digital Elph camera - Peter
Atmospheric ConditionsMostly clear and hot. The humidity wasn't bad. There was no wind, at least not down in the pit where we were. There is some haze out there though.
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac

TargetSun aligns with the McGraw-Hill sun triangle
Constellation
CategorySolar
Time20060621.1130 EDT
CommentsThe Summer Solstice was at 0826 EDT this morning So this one of the days when the sun is to line up with an arm of the Sun Triangle in the sunken Plaza in front of the McGraw-Hill building in Rockefeller Center. But because we are in Daylight Saving Time it should occur at 1300..

Shortly before the appointed time a small crowd gathered under the sculpture. I waited until 1300 to move there and found that I had missed the event. It appears that either the triangle is not properly aligned or the sun is running fast. I had wondered if they had compensated for our displacement from the central meridian of our time zone (-1° 1 minute 8.78557206 seconds of longitude), which they should have, but the alignment didn't occur early enough to account for a failure to account for our displacement (-4 minutes 4.5858 seconds).


The triangle at 1130 EDT when I arrived. Its shadow is well to the west of the pedestal.


The sun is well to the east of the point of the triangle.


At 1200 EDT the sun is getting closer to the point. According to the sun it is only 1100 but we had to go and monkey with time.


This picture is sometime between 1200 and 1230 EDT. The shadow still shows the shape of the triangle but its base is now closer to the pedestal.


At 1230 EDT the sun is closer still to the point of the triangle.


Peter arrived sometime around 1230 EDT and here he is making a photograph up the Summer Solstice leg of the triangle.


Looking up the face of the triangle at 1300 EDT. I am not lined up exactly with the base of the triangle as there is too much contrast between the bright sun and the silhouetted triangle to be able to see. It might be easier to do this with a digital camera but I doubt it. More haze would have been a big help.


Another view at 1300 EDT, this time a little better centered on the face of the triangle with the sun off to the side as it was at that time.


The triangle's shadow at the base of the pedestal shortly after 1230 EDT.


A segmented vertical panorama of the Sun Triangle.


The Sun Triangle sculpture in context.

Peter has a different view of the event.


Observing LocationMet Oval
Observational Period2200-2230 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsIt appeared to me that the sky must have cleared off. Although the oval is very light polluted I was seeing stars that I haven't seen from TotL on nights that were forecast to be better than tonight.
TransparencyGood
Seeing
InstrumentsNaked-eye Observing - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

I hadn't planned on observing so didn't have my Palm with me to help me identify the stars/Constellations I was not familiar with or to make noted about what I observed so had to reconstruct it from memory.

  • Ursa Major
    • Dubhe. α UMa
    • Merak, β UMa
    • Phad, γ UMa
    • Megrez, δ UMa
    • Alioth, ε UMa
    • Mizar, &zets; UMa
    • Alkaid, &ets; UMa
  • Ursa Minor
    • Polaris, &alpha” UMi
    • Kochab, β UMi
    • Pherkad, γ UMi
  • Draco
    • Rasraban, β Dra
    • Eltanin, γ Dra
  • Cygnus
    • Deneb, α Cyg
    • Sadr, γ Cyg
    • Alberio, β Cyg
  • Libra
    • Vega, α Lib
    • Sulafat, γ Lyr
  • Bootes
    • Arcturus, α Boo
    • Murfid, η Boo
    • ρ Boo
    • Seginus, γ Boo
    • Izar, ε Boo
  • Corona Borealis
    • Alphecca, α CrB
  • Libra
    • Zuben Elgenubi, α lib
    • Zuben Elschemali, β Lib
  • Scorpius
    • Antares, α Sco
    • Alniyat, ο Sco
    • Dschubba, δ Sco
    • Graffias, &beta, Sco

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.