17 June 2006

16 June 2006

Observing LocationTotL
We started out in the NE corner of the Lawn for the planets then moved to TotL proper. At midnight the sprinklers at the edge of the lawn came on and we moved to the outside of the walk but the breeze was from the south and, light as it was, blew spray over us so we had to move back to the NE corner where we had started out.

The police came by at 0055 EDT and reminded us that the park was closing in five minutes. They weren't as confrontational about it as they were last night. We were already packed up and were just sitting on the benched talking so headed out. It was a female officer again. The men tend not to give us any problems about staying past curfew. Gone are the days when we could stay there until 0200, 0300, or even 0430.

Observational Period2030-0100 EDt
Atmospheric ConditionsWhile it was not as bad tonight as it was last night it wasn't as good as the forecasts were predicting either. The sky was murky although we could still see stars through it. The seeing wasn't stable. The temperature was in the low 70s and the breeze was light.
TransparencyFair
SeeingFair
Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 -Charlie
I brought screwdrivers with me tonight and tried to adjust the collimation on SAR. I haven't made it any worse and it appears that I might have lessened the coma some although I have not eliminated it. At least a portion of the coma is coming from the eyepiece. The collar the eyepiece fits into was not properly drilled for its mounting screws so I had to drift one of the holes in the secondary cage to get both screws to hold the collar firmly. So the collar is not in exactly the right place. And when you tighten the thumb screw to hold the eyepiece in place it pushes the top of the eyepiece over to the side and the view gets worse. I should really replace the collar with a helical focuser. But to get a good one it will probably cost me as much as I paid for the telescope. And then it needs to be mounted which will probably require a bigger hole in the cage and new screw holes, all of which need to be properly aligned with the mirrors and is more than I can do with my hand held Dremel tool. For the time being I will live with the improved view

Takahashi 102 refractor - Peter
Fujinon 10x50 binocular - Peter
Fujinon 17x60 binocular - Tom
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Tom Clabough
We again drew a large crowd of passers-by before sunset. Some people left and came back closer to the time when we expected to see the planets.. Everyone assumes we are there watching the hawks. It is probably fortunate for our personal observing that we don't have the notoriety of the Central Park bird watchers.

TargetMercury
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanet
Time20060616.2045 EDT
CommentsThis was the first object to become visible after Jupiter, which was already visible naked eye when I arrived in the park. Peter found it in his binocular and I got it right away in my scope after I knew its azimuth. I wasn't able to see it naked eye for another 20 minutes. It is still just a small dot in my scope so I was not able to detect phase. Nearby Pollux and Castor became visible naked-eye at 2110 EDT.

TargetSaturn, Mars and M44
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet and Deep Sky Object
Time20060616.2100 EDT
CommentsFirst Seen naked-eye. I was able to see all three objects in SAR's FOV. Saturn and Mars could be completely hidden behind the tip of my pinky at arm's length. When I looked the event up in Planetarium it looked like Mars was just leaving M44 tonight but it was actually over a half of a degree away already.

TargetAlberio
ConstellationCyg
CategoryDouble Star
Time20060616.2218 EDT
CommentsI tweaked the collimation on SAR and have reduced the size of the comet tails on the stars but have not eliminated them entirely. The stars of Alberio could be split and the color difference was obvious.

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time20060616.2240 EDT
CommentsA fairly bright pass coming out of Manhattan south.

TargetIridium 13 Flare
ConstellationVir
CategorySatellite
Time20060616.2319 EDT
CommentsA bright but not spactacular flare moving to the NW above Spica.

TargetMeteor
ConstellationSco
Category
Time20060617.0011 EDT
CommentsWhile looking into Virgo for the next ISS pass I saw a meteor streaking to the horizon below the claws of Scorpius. The radiant appears to have been somewhere in the north. A while later Tom saw another meteor that he described as a fireball also coming from the north and going to Manhattan south. The only stream that Planetarium identifies as being active is the Saggitarids and neither of these meteors were from there.

TargetISS Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time20060617.0013 EDT
CommentsThis was a low pass that began behind the big tree to the NW and ended behind the big tree to the NW.

TargetM379
ConstellationCyg
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060617.0029 EDT
CommentsSeen in Peter's scope.
It looked like a tall diamond with a very flat top laying on its side. It reminded me of the Manpower temporary agency logo.

TargetM29
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060617.0030 EDT
CommentsSeen in Peter's scope.
It looks like a square with one additional star on each of two adjacent corners. Peter describes it as resembling a box with an open lid.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.