14 June 2006

13 June 2006

Observing LocationQueens Hall of Science, Flushing, Queens, NY
Observational Period1840-1925 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsComfortably warm with a variable, moderate breeze. Scattered clouds passing north to south right across the sun but otherwise clear and no haze. Minor boiling on the upper limb, none on the lower.
TransparencyGood
SeeingExcellent
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular with Baader AstroSolar filter film- Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
Constellation Psc
Category Solar
Time20060613.1840 EDT
CommentsWhen I last saw the SOHO image on Space Weather they were still showing 893 but I can't find it even after prolonged observation.
892
The group has moved over to the western limb and will start to become foreshortened soon. It looks like there is penumbra or small spots beneath it but I can't make them out.

  Groups Spots R
North 0 0 0
South 1 1 11
Total 1 1 11


Observing LocationQueens Hall of Science, Flushing, Queens, NY
Observational Period2130-2230 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsConditions had gone downhill while I was in my meeting. There were clouds and haze low on the horizon. It appeared to be clear overhead though. The temperature was comfortable and the wind had died down some.
Fair
TransparencyGood
Seeing
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetMercury
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanet
Time20060613.2130 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
I thought that I might have been seeing Mercury but it turned out to be Pollux without Castor. I was mistaking Saturn and Mars for Gemini. Seeing was really bad low fown and it was hard to figure out what stars I was actually able to see. Mercury was below the tree line. I had hoped to have gotten onto the hill next to the expressway but the fence I used last time was closed tonight so I wasn't able to take advantage of the additional elevation.

TargetSaturn, Mars and M44
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet and Deep Sky Object
Time2006013.2130 EDT
CommentsMars is a little closer to Saturn tonight but they don't look anywhere near as close in the eyepiece as they do in Planetarium, and they appear even farther apart naked-eye. They are fairly evenly spaced on opposing sides of M44. The cluster was very hard to see. Mostly it was only a star or two that would resolve and a faint wisp of lightness in the sky in that area. Once or twice the clouds/haze thinned enough that I got a momentary glimpse of the whole cluster.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationLib
CategoryPlanet
Time20060613.2145 EDT
CommentsTwo widely spaced moons were on each side of the planet. HIP 70714 and HIP 70501 were near the plane of the moons and looked like two more widely spaced moons.

TargetIridium 34 Flare
ConstellationLeo
CategorySatellite
Time20060613.2221 EDT
CommentsAs with all recent flares in the 2200-2400 timeframe this one was in Leo. It was a Mag -6 event but was dimmer than it should have been because of the atmosphere. The satellite remained visible for about 22 seconds.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.