13 June 2006

11 June 2006

Observing LocationMet Oval
Observational Period1640-1655 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsNo clouds but a light haze visivle near the sun. It was a little cool, particularly out of the sun, and breezy.
TransparencyGood
Seeinggood
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Target Sunspots
Constellation Psc
Category Solar
Time20060611.1640 EDT
CommentsThe ecliptic appeared to running 11:30-5:30. Only two groups/spots were visible in the center of the disc.
892
The leading group is the larger and is easily seen, but not without magnification. I can only see one large spot and do not detect a penumbra.
893
This group is small and was not initially detected. It also appears to be a single spot.

  Groups Spots R
North 1 1 11
South 1 1 11
Total 2 2 22


Observing LocationWhite Plains Road and the Cross Bronx Expressway, Bronx, NY
I used this location because, looking along the Cross Bronx Expressway, it has the lowest view of the western horizon. It is, however, a major interchange between the interstate and a major local street so is well lit and vehicle lights are bothersome. You have to move around a lot to get a sight line to the desired chunk of sky that is least impacted my sodium vapor street light
Observational Period2030-2105 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsClear and cool with brisk gusty winds.
Instruments Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie.
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetJupiter
ConstellationLib
CategoryPlanet
Time2006.0611.2049 EDT
CommentsI noticed Jupiter behind me and knew the other targets would start to appear soon.

TargetMercury
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanet
Time20060611.2055 EDT
CommentsI had thought that I would first sight Castor and Pollux in the binocular and use them to locate Mercury and then, after knowing where Mercury was would see it naked-eye. But I first saw Mercury naked-eye. When I first got the binocular on it it appeared to have comet tails, as though I was using SAR, but they were not there after the sky got a little darker.

TargetSaturn, Mars and M44
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet and Deep Sky Object
Time20060611.2059 EDT
CommentsI picked out Saturn naked-eye and could see Mars nearby in the binocular. M44 never did make an appearance.

TargetCastor and Pollux
ConstellationGem
CategoryStars
Time20060611.2100 EDT
CommentsI finally located Castor and Pollux in the binocular and two minutes later saw them naked-eye

TargetMars
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet
Time20060611.2103 EDT
CommentsMars is now visible naked-eye.


Observing LocationMet Oval
The light-pollution here is very bad. There are four poles around the fountain that have two floodlights each, which light up the fountain making it daylight there 24x7. There are few places where you can go where one of these lights is not pointed straight at you. But there are benches there and there us usually a (sleeping) rent-a-cop in the security booth so it is a reasonably safe place to be with equipment in the middle of the night.
Observational Period2115-2150 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsSlightly cool and breezy
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
I had a list of the few bright objects that I could see from near the fountain and the additional stars that were visible in one of the places where the floodlights were less offensive, but it appears that that didn't get saved so I will have to make that assessment again another time.

TargetMars, Saturn and M44
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet and Deep Sky Object
Time20060611.2115 EDT
CommentsMars is close to η Cnc and Saturn is about as far away from δ Cnc. My IS batteries have died and I don't have a pair of spares so I will not see M44 tonight. Those stars are too faint to see from this light-polluted location without stable optics.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationLib
CategoryPlanet
Time20060611.2128 EDT
CommentsAll of Jupiter's moons are lined up in front of the planet.

TargetCosmos 1035 Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time20060611.2145 EDT
CommentsThis satellite came out of the north and passed high to the east at Mag 2.8. I had a little trouble getting a big chunk of sky to look at where the fountain floodlights wouldn't be shining right in my eyes and as a result of their glare the satellite seemed a little fainter than it should have been. I acquired it near α CrB and tracked it into the south and had just gotten it in the binocular when it set into a tree. It was a very fast moving satellite.


Observing LocationWhite Plains Road at the Cross Bronx Expressway (again)
Observational Period2200-2345 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsIt was still cool and clear with gusty wind.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
InstrumentsCanon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

TargetIridium 6 Flare
ConstellationLeo
CategorySatellite
Time20060611.2223 EDT
CommentsThis was a low altitude flare on the front paws of Leo. It was listed as Mag -6. When I first saw it it was bright and brightened quickly then faded and winked out quickly before reaching Saturn. It was moving to the west at a low angle.

TargetLacrosse 2 Visible Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time20060611.2311 EDT
CommentsNot Seen

TargetFull Hay (Strawberry, Honey, Rose) Moon
ConstellationOph
CategoryLunar
Time20060611.2320 EDT
CommentsThe Moon has been rising over the elevated subway tracks so I took a look between satellites. There are some light clouds in front of it, the only clouds anywhere in the sky. It is a nice picture. The limb up above Mare Crisium appears to be a little bumpier than in other sections. Moon's age: 15d1h54m, Illuminated: 99.6%.
According to Planetarium Mag 9.2 TYC 6840-00755-1 will be occulted at the same time as the next Iridium flare but I can't see any stars anywhere around the moon.

TargetIridium 53 Flare
ConstellationCnc
CategorySatellite
Time20060611.2340 EDT
CommentsThis flare was about twice as high as the last one but did not look like the Mag -3 that it was advertised as. It appeared a little before the alarm went off on my PDA so I need to check the time on my computers and make sure they are not slow.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.