12 June 2006

10 June 2006

Today for the NY Map Society meeting we went to Araader Galleries on Madison Ave at 78 St. They deal on marine paintings, nature illustrations, antique furniture, silver and maps. In the map area their primary focus is in early maps of the united states. But they also have some astronomical maps as well,

On the first floor us a pair of globes one of which is a celestial globe. Up in the map room is a 3-foot tall Newton celestial globe, part of another pair that sells for $27,000.

In the second floor painting gallery is another pair of globes that is probably about 3 feet in diameter. The political globe is very richly colored while the celestial glove, as with all of the others, is very faintly colored. They could only tell me who printed the globe but unless I miss my guess the depictions of the constellations are those of Bayer. These two globes can be had for a mere $1,200,000.

There were plates from broken atlases framed and hung on the walls in various places.

The staff did not seem to be welll versed in their astronomical holdings.


Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2045-0100 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsWhen I got home at around 1730 it was mostly cloudy, a far cry from the clear skies forecast by CSC. By 1830 it was mostly clear. It was cool and very windy. The air was very clear with only a slight area of sky lit up around the Moon. The Gegenschein was not very visible.
TransparencyExcellent
SeeingFair
Instruments Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Takahashi 102 Refractor - Peter Fujinon 17x60 binocular - Tom
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Tom Clabough
Tonight was a big public interaction night. Several times during the night we had large groups gathered around the optics and they tended to stay for a while and ask questions. This resulted in us not seeing much more than the planets. And Moon

Late into the evening Peter and I made a star count in Ursa Minor to get an idea of how transparent the air was. We both came up with eight stars but I am not sure they were the same eight. We both saw a star to the west of Kochab that does not appear in Planetarium. I didn't see all of the handle stars. The dimmest bowl star and Pherkad Minor were both difficult for me.

TargetRobins
Constellation
CategoryFauna
Time20060610.2045 EDT
CommentsAs I crossed the East Drive just north of the museum I could hear the robins calling from the trees south of the path. By the time I got over to our normal observing location at the top of the lawn they had stopped. It seems like they stop singing very soon after it starts to get dark but start again in the morning well before it begins to get light. It would be interesting to see how their periods of singing correspond to the phases of morning and evening twilight.

TargetMercury
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanet
Time20060610.2050 EDT
CommentsWhen I arrived at the Lawn Tom was set up behind Ball Field 6 in the NE corner of the Lawn and was searching for Mercury. He had previously seen it but had to move when it set into the trees. When he again found it we discovered that he had actually found Pollux. Mercury was quickly found after we realized what we had been looking at and it was a much bigger target but didn't appear to be as bright. Shortly thereafter I was able to locate it naked-eye. I did not detect any phase and other than its size it was not very remarkable.

TargetSaturn, Mars and The Beehive Cluster (M44, Preasape)
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet and Deep Sky Object
Time20060610.2100 EDT
CommentsHaving accidentally found the Gemini Twins I started looking for Mars and Saturn. Saturn was quickly found naked-eye with Mars hanging to its lower right much farther away than I was expecting. I could fit both of them into the binocular FOV without having to move my eye around much but I did have to be right up against the eye cups. Mars was orange while Saturn was a cream colored cigar. After a while the Beehive started to become visible to the upper right of Saturn.

Peter had arrived and was setting up in our usual location so I moved over near him. When he got on Saturn he was confused with the image reversal thinking that δ Cnc was part of the Beehive. I didn't get much time in his eyepiece to study the planet, stealing quick looks when there were groups there to keep the planet centered while Peter was talking with people. I did clearly see the rings but didn't look for the Cassini division, shadow on the rings, or the north pole

I drifted the scope over to Mars and it appeared as a small burning ember.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationLib
CategoryPlanet
Time20060610.2115 EDT
CommentsJupiter was a recurring theme as groups of passers-by left and were replaced by new ones. After Saturn and Mars set Jupiter and the Moon were the only bright targets that the average person would relate to.

Io and Europa were on the trailing limb and Callisto and Ganymede on the leading limb. As we continued to observe through the evening Callisto gradually approached the planet and finally disappeared as it beginning to transit.

I had copied into my PDA the GRS and Jovian moon event times from S+T and found that they did not agree with the data in Peter's planetarium programs or with what we were observing. It wasn't until I was walking home from the subway that I remembered that the data I had copied was for July.

TargetMoon and Antares
ConstellationSco
CategoryLunar
Time20060610.2120 EDT
CommentsThe Moon was a very nice sight rising from behind the large tree north of the walk at the NE corner of the Lawn. It was preceded by Antares which fit in the same FOV and was very similar in color.

We looked at the morning terminator near Grimaldi under high power and there was some very nice relief there with what appeared to be mountains in front of mountains.

The Teneriffe Mountains in Mare Imbrium underneath Plato were very obvious although there was no shadow to give them relief.

Aristarchus looked like a small crater filled with chalk.

At high power the prominent double ray coming off of Tycho headed toward Grimaldi looked like a canal filled with lava. It reminded me of a bicycle tire track in mud.

TargetUSA 129
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time20060610.2159 EDT
CommentsWe searched for three satellites tonight and saw three satellited but they were all a little strange. All of them appeared earlier than the clock on my PDA said they should have. My PDA clock doesn't drift much and was synchronized with my computer clock which, in turn, is synchronized with the internet. So all the clocks should be accurate to within a second or two. The PDA clock is in good agreement with my wristwatch which was set to the WWV time signal about 12 days ago and is very accurate.

A satellite did appear on the trajectory predicted but a couple of minutes early. And it flared twice to brighter than Mag 0 while it was predicted to pass at Mag 2.8.

TargetIridium 34 Flare
ConstellationLeo
CategorySatellite
Time20060610.2220 EDT
CommentsWe saw a satellite passing through Leo but it was farther west than I have been experiencing them. It was also earlier by my timepiece than predicted.

TargetIridium 36 Flare
ConstellationLeo
CategorySatellite
Time20060610.2229 EDT
CommentsHaving almost missed the last flare I checked Planetarium to see exactly where this one should occur. It said right in fromt of Leo's front feet and it did flare up a bit to the east of there. I had set the binocular on the area and when I looked the satellite was flying through the FOV so I tracked it all the way until it went behind the big tree to the NW of the Lawn. I never saw it come out the other side and it may have gone into shadow by then.

TargetThe Ring Nebula, M57
ConstellationLyr
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060611.0015 EDT
CommentsPeter wanted to try M57 so I went along for the ride. It was very high up and not easy in the tripod mounted binocular. In the scope I had to kneel and then bend over to get to the level of the eyepiece. A Dob or SAR would have been much more convenient.

I did not see it in my binocular although Peter said that it was easy for him. In his scope I saw it even before I attempted to focus. I wasn't able to get the field stars to focus and a little while later Peter reported that he thought seeing had deteriorated.

TargetAlberio
ConstellationCyg
CategoryDouble Star
Time2006.0611.0030 EDT
CommentsFrom M57 I dropped down to Alberio. The primary was bright gold and the secondary a dimmer blue to its 8:30.

TargetThe Coathanger
ConstellationVul
CategoryAsterism
Time20060611.0045 EDT
CommentsI thought I remembered that the Coathanger was in this neighborhood and confirmed it with Peter.. My memory was that it was half way between Cyg and Aql (between Alberio in the head of the wean and Deneb el Okab, ζ Aql, the right wing tip of the eagle) and that some of the stars in it are at the limits of my naked-eye vision. I saw hints of stars in that neighborhood and lined the binocular up on it and found that I had dropped right on top of it.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.