04 May 2006

28 April 2006

Location: Bryant Park
Time: 1735-1750
Atmospheric Conditions: It was so late the only place where I had a clear view of the sun was sitting on the steps of the Bryant statue and even from there the sun dropped behind a building while I was watching.
TransparencyFair
SeeingFair
Instruments: Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
12" Orion Dob - Columbia
11" Celestron SCT - Columbia
Fujinon 17x60 binocular - Tom
Observing Party: Charlie Ridgway
Tom Clabough
Neil - Columbia grad student
Cameron - Columbia grad student


Target: first Crescent Moon
Constellation: Ari
Category: Lunar
Time: 20060428.2000 EDT
Comments: I Got it first in the glass then immediately thereafter naked eye; a thin smile just above Interfaith center. I got it in the Dob and you could see that the terminator was lumpy.

Target: Jupiter
Constellation: Lib
Category: Planet
Time: 20060428.2015 EDT
Comments: Tom's binocular. Moons above and below was above the horizon much sooner than I had anticipated but low on the horizon in thick atmosphere. Initially I could not find any moons

Target: Saturn
Constellation: Gem
Category: Planet
Time: 20060428.20.30 EDT
Comments: Dob It was small and not as sharp as I would have expected at that low power
I could see the C ring and the ring shadow on the disk but not the Cassini division between the A and B rings

Target: M 81, Bode's Galaxy, NGC 3031
Constellation: UMa
Category: Deep Sky Object
Time: 060428.21.11 EDT
Comments: It was a very faint smudge

Target: M13; Hercules Cluster
Constellation: Her
Time: 20060428.2130 EDT
Comments: very faint, needed averted

Target: M92, NGC 6341
Constellation: Her
Time: 20060428.21.45 EDT
Comments: brighter than M42

Target: Epsilon Lyra
Constellation: Lyr
Time: 20060428.22.00 EDT
Comments: I could not get them to focus


Location: TotL
Time: 2300-0015 EDT
Atmospheric Conditions: sky seemed better than at Columbia
cool, no breeze
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments: Tac 102 - Peter
Party: Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Kin Lee

Target: Saturn
Constellation: Gem
Time: 20060428.23.15 EDT
Comments: It looked much better than at the university

Target: 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3
Constellation: CrB and Her
Time: 20060429.0000 EDT
Comments: Success at last.
I saw both the C and B components in Peter's scope when he put them in the FOV. B was easier than C although it is reported to be dimmer.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.