08 April 2006

8 April 2006

I had a NY Map Society meeting at the Humanities Division of the NYPL today so went upstairs to check out the rare maps they currently have on display. There are a lot of nice maps including a few that show California as an island off the west coast of the US. They also included two large format (larger than coffee table books if they had such things back then) books from the 1600 showing astronomy maps.

The first was a book labeled

Andreas Cellarius
"Planispherum Ptolomacium sive machina orgium mundi ex hypothesi Ptolomaicia in plano disposita"
Ptolemy's System of the Planetary System
Plate 1
and
Andreas Cellarius
"Scenographia Systematis Copernicani"
View of the Copernican System Plate 5
from
Harmonia macrocosmica seu atlas
Harmony of the Universe
Amsterdam: Jan Jansson 1661
They obviously depicted the earth-centered and sun-centered theories on the structure of the solar system.

Next to these maps were a pair of star charts in a marine atlas but the explanatory material notes that they are to large to be of practical use on a ship and were probably intended for armchair navigators.

The maps are

John Seller
"Borealis hemisphaerii tabulam"
Northern Hemisphere chart
and
John Seller
"Australis hemisphaerii tabulam"
Southern Hemisphere Constellation Chart
from
Atlas Maritimius
Maritime Atlas
London: John Darby 1675
Although this atlas was printed in London most of the test is in Latin (I think). There is some tabular ephemeris data in the corners of the pages that is in English. There is a note in Latin in the upper right corner with a date in advance of the publication of the book which assumedly says that the positions of the stars are valid through that date.

Cor Caroli is depicted with a large red heart wearing a crown around it and is a dedication of the map (atlas?) to King Charles I who had been beheaded in 1949.

Before leaving the library I checked out the map stuff they have for sale in the museum shop. There is a box with two globes attached to ribbons that look like they are intended for Christmas tree ornaments. One has a map of the world and the other a map of the constellations. They sold for $25 for the pair.


On the way home I stopped at Coliseum Books and saw three items of interest.

Many Skies: Alternative Histories Of The Sun, Moon, Planets, And Stars by Arthur R. Upgren. I gather from the dust jacket and what I read at Amazon.com that the book is a what would the universe be like today if this had happened back then instead of what did happen. This book isn't even on order yet at the library but Upgren has two other books on the stars that I have on reserve now.

Amazon.com says this book isn't available in hardcover yet but I found The Mystery of the Tunguska Fireball by Surendra Verma on the shelves in paperback. The book description on Amazon.com says:

Part scientific detective story, part planetary science text and part physics lesson by subterfuge, Surendra Verma waltzes the reader through the process of scientific debate' Guardian.

The last book is not an astronomy book but is related in a way. The Man Who Knew Too Much: Alan Turing and the Invention of the Computer (Great Discoveries) by David Leavitt is another biography about the man who broke the German Enigma code during World War II. I have this one on reserve at the library and should have it in about a week, assuming the copy that is supposedly on the shelves hasn't gone missing as happens to many of my reserves.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.