28 April 2006

27 April 2006

Observing
Location
Met Oval
Observational
Period
1600-1615 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
Mostly Cloudy. I had to wait for gaps in the clouds to see the Sun.
Transparency
Seeing
Instruments Canon IS 15x50 binocular with Baader AstroSolar filter film -- Charlie
I have kept forgetting to replace the depleted batteries in the binocular and was trying to observe with neither a tripod nor image stabilization. Even sitting I was not able to hold the binocular still enough to see more than susnpot groups.
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationAri
CategorySolar
Time2006 EST
CommentsWhen did the sun sneak over into Aries. It has been a while since I have done any solar observing.

Without image stabilization I can't tell much more that that there are what I interpret as three groups on the sun. I think they are all in the northern hemisphere. The leading group is large and looks like it has some small spots training the umbra but I can't be certain of that. The trailing group is much smaller but still large enough to be easily seen and appears to be a single spot. Between them is a small, gray, single spot that I take to be its own group.

Checking SpaceWeather.com on the 28th they are showing my two trailing groups to be a single group, 876, which is very low in the southern hemisphere for this part of the sunspot cycle. 875, the large leading spot is very complex with many small spots trailing the main spot, and is also in the southern hemisphere but nearer the equator.

   
GroupsSpotsR
North3 
South0  
Total3  
10*G+S=K


Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2200-0015 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
Partly to mostly cloudy. When I got home and checked the midnight observed condition I was surprised to find that it was only down to the high 50s. Standing out there in it I would have put it in the 40s. The wind kicked up to the point that the tops of the large trees were in motion so I am estimating busts to around 20 MPH. The seeing seemed to be stable. Between the clouds the air seemed to be clear. Good
Transparency
SeeingGood
Instruments Orion 10" equatorial mounted Newtonian reflector - Derek
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Derek Snow
Derek had about a half dozen of his friends with him who seem to have a particular penchant for taking flash pictures of everything. The constant blazes of light were very annoying.

TargetSaturn
Constellation
Category
Time20060427.2215 EDT
CommentsSaturn looked nice and fairly crisp and all magnifications tried. The A, B and C rings were all visible as well as a faint stripe across the disk of the planet.

TargetM44
Constellation
Category
Time2006 EDT
CommentsThe magnification was too much for the object. It looked like a few disembodied stars scattered at the edges of the FOV. These clusters need some empty sky around the edges of the FOV to put them in context.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationLib
Category
Time20060427.2300 EDT
CommentsThere were two moons on each side of the planet in opposite diagonals forming a trapezoid. At the edge of the field was a nearly equally bright background star that everyone kept mistaking for a moon no matter how often they were told it was not one.

We tried an orange filter and Derek didn't think it changed things so then tried a green and it increased the contrast in the EBs so that it was easy to see that they were lumpy. But I don't remember seeing any thinner bands out closer to the poles.

TargetM51, Whirlpool Galaxy
ConstellationCVn
CategoryDeep Space Object
Time2006 EDT
CommentsDerek wanted to try to photograph the object even though he could not see it in the eyepiece. He has apparently done this before with this object. It didn't happen last night though. I was not able to verify what stars were in the finder scope. The end of the straight through finder was high enough that you had to stand to see through it but low enough that you could not stand erect.

We had wanted to try for 73P/Schwassmann-Wachmann 3 but the clouds kept moving over the area. The printout of the location that Derek had was very different from what Planetarium shows for either the general location of the location of the B component. I need to try to update my elements so I am sure Planetarium is showing me the best location.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.