22 April 2006

19 April 2990

The Science, Industry and Business Library is having an exhibition on the way maps have been used in science. One of the maps on display is from Sky and Telescope.


Observing LocationTotL
Observational Period2015-0100 EDT
Atmospheric ConditionsIt was mild and clear with one passing stripe of stratus and some cloud low on the western horizon. A light breeze came up out of the NE around 2120 that felt a little cool and moist. Seeing seemed to be stable. There was some light haze but it wasn't too bad.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
InstrumentsSAR: Coulter CT-100 reflector - Charlie
Tacahashi 102 refractor - Peter
Observing PartyCharlie Ridgway

Peter Tagatac
Kin Lee

I borrowed Peter's TeleVue 2x Barlow to try it out on SAR and see how it would respond to the increased magnification. While looking at Saturn both Kin and then Peter said that they felt the view was better with the Barlow. The increase in magnification (to ~42x) was nice and the image was something I could live with.

Peter and I each discovered independently that my scope exhibits less coma before the eyepiece screw is tightened. It seems like the top of the eyepiece gets canted off the optical axis when the screw is tightened.

TargetMars
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanet
Time20060419.2020
CommentsMars has moved from over M35 and is too far away to fit in my reduced FOV. It looks like a big orange star but does not appear circular due to coma.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet
Time20060419.2048
CommentsSaturn was observed multiple times in both SAR and Peter's scope at varying magnifications.

In SAR, without the Barlow, I was able to see ring separation, the Casini Division and Titan. I am not sure that I saw any more with the Barlow but the planet was bigger and more impressive. The upper left quadrant had a ghost image around it that Peter tells me is Coma.

In Peter's scope I saw the C ring and a band on the planet as well as two more moons. With the 3x and 2x stacked Barlows I don't see the fainter moons.

TargetM44, Presape, The Beehive Cluster
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060419.2100 EDT
CommentsAll of the stars of M44 appeared to have two tails pointing off to 10:00 ans 11:00.

TargetM42/M43
ConstellationOri
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060419.2109 EDT
CommentsI centered on this to show a young couple who had stopped by something else. Some nebulosity was visible but appeared more extensive with averted vision.

Target73P/Schwassman/Wachmann 3
ConstellationBoo
CategoryComet
Time20060419.2146 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
We looked for the comet in both scopes and didn't find anything. Peter had a new issue of a Japanese astronomy magazine which neither of us could read but their finder charts are in good agreement with where Planetarium places it based on my entered elements.

The comet is supposed to be Mag 8 and we were seeing Mag 9 stars so theoretically should have seen it. But maybe that Mag 8 of light is spread over a large area and the comet appears darker than the Mag 9 point sources of llight we are seeing.

StarMag
HIP 74052 7.21
HIP 73968 8.65
HIP 73931 9.23
HIP 73890 9.18
TYC 2030-00168-1 9.09

TargetJupiter
ConstellationLib
CategoryPlanet
Time20060419.2345 EDT
CommentsJupiter is right next to Zubin Elginubi.
Three moons are on the leading limb and one on the trailing.
The view was nice in SAR except for the ghost image in the upper left Quadrant. I spent more time looking at it in Peter's scope though.
The SEB appeared to be knotted. There was texture visible in the Equatorial Zone. The south polar region appeared a little bluish.

TargetM13, Hercules Cluster
ConstellationHer
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060420.0009 EDT
CommentsA small puffball. The stars around it were well resolved.

TargetM57, The Ring Nebula
ConstellationLyr
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060420.0040 EDT
CommentsI may have seen it in Peter's scope but I didn't see it in mine.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.