19 April 2006

18 April 2006

Observing
Location
TotL
After I got set up I saw a helicopter hovering "over" the CitiCorp building with its Midnight Sun flashing continuously. A short while later it was joined by another helicopter that took up station further south and east also with its Midnight Sun flashing. Then I noticed another out over Queens looking to the NE. They all dispersed at around 2200 but two of them moved up and took up station on either end of the 86 St Transverse Road. Their noise was very annoying and the primary reason for ending the observing session. Based on their behavior I suspect that they were involved in a dignitary protection detail for an event at the UN rather than for the stuck Roosevelt Island Tram.
Observational
Period
2100-2230 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
There were no clouds and there hadn't been any aparent haze during the day, but the sky was not as clear tonight as it was list night between the clouds. It was much milder until 2220 when a brisk, moist breeze blew up out of the NE. Two persistent white stripes were noted. They were both more easily seen with averted vision. The first stretched from below Capella to beneath Saturn and finally into Leo. The second was lower from beneath the feet of Gemini to above Procyon, and above λ Hya. I suspect that they were contrails.
Transparency Good
Seeing Good
Instruments Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

Target Mars & M35
Constellation Gem
Category Planet and Deep SkyObject
Time 20060418.2107 EDT
Comments Tonight Mars is above M35. Beneath it I can see bright HIP 29379 followed by TYC 1877-01484-1 and TYC 1881-01595-1 and the surrounding stardust.

Target Saturn & M44
Constellation Cnc
Category Planet and Deep Sky Object
Time 20060418.2115 EDT
Comments Saturn and M44 are just within my FOV but for the best view you have to move your eye around and view each object individually.

Target Lyrid Meteor
Constellation Leo
Category Meteor
Time 20060418.2201 EDT
Comments This was a slow moving, faint meteor that came from the zenith down toward the GE Building. I think I saw it as it passed through Leo. It had a short tail and appeared to be a dirty yellow color.
TargetSatellites
Constellation Leo
Category Satellite
Time 20060418.2207 EDT
Comments This is the second satellite I saw in this area tonight. The first was around the time of the meteor sighting and was moving up through the tail of Leo. This one was moving south through the tail just inside Denebola.

Target P73/Schwassmann/Wachmann
Constellation Boo
Category Comet
Time 20060418.2225 EDT
Comments I easily identified the area the pieces are passing through but didn't see anything suspicious. I really didn't expect to see anything in my binocular since we have never seen a good candidate in Peter's telexcope.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.