10 April 2006

10 April 2006

Observing
Location
Met Oval

I made another series of GPS observations after doing my solar observing. This time there was a lot more variability in both latitude and longitude.

TimeWaypointLatitudeLongitude
1710 EDT51640° 50.313'-73° 51.575'
1715 EDT51740° 50.306'-73° 51.594'
1720 EDT51840° 50.305'-73° 51.590'
1725 EDT51940° 50.305'-73° 51.583'
1730 EDT52040° 50.306'-73° 51.588'
1735 EDT52140° 50.310'-73° 51.586'
1740 EDT52240° 50.304'-73° 51.586'
1745 EDT52340° 50.307'-73° 51.584'
1750 EDT52440° 50.306'-73° 51.581'
1755 EDT52540° 50.309'-73° 51.589'
1800 EDT52640° 50.305'-73° 51.595'
1805 EDT52740° 50.303'-73° 51.585'
1810 EDT52840° 50.304'-73° 51.594'
1815 EDT52940° 50.310'-73° 51.592'
Averaged40° 50.307'-73° 51.587'

A scatter plot of recorded fixes

The magenta square is the average of all positions.

Plot of latitude variation over time

Plot of Longitude variation over time

Observational
Period
1700-1815 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
There was some light haze and thin clouds around and over the sun but it was easily visible and the image was steady. There was a strong breeze but it felt good sitting in the sun. But as soon as the sun got near the roof of a nearby apartment building the temperature dropped rapidly and it was chilly by the time I had finished my observations. Officially the sun had not set yet. By then it was also mostly overcast but by the time I got out of dinner around 1900 EDT it was partly cloudy.
TransparencyFair
SeeingGood
Instruments Canon 15x50 IS binocular - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationPeg
CategorySolar
Time20060409.1730 EDT
Comments
869
SW Quadrant
This spot is near the midline but I think it is below the equator. There are two fairly equal spots in the group/
870
NE Quadrant
I now see two spots on the trailing limb. They are also close to the equator but I think they are north of it. The P spot is lower than the smaller F spot.
?
NE Quadrant
This is an un-numbered group that is developing east of the meridian and I think above the equator. I can see one pore there.

 GroupsSpots R
North 2 3 23
South 1 5 12
Total 3 5 35
Groups * 10 + Spots = Relative Sunspot Number

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.