05 March 2006

5 March 2006

Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2015-2200 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Both CSC and NOAA said it was going to be good tonight and start to cloud up around midnight. I think the clouds moved in a little early but it wasn't bad. When I got home I looked at the satellite loop and could see a band of clouds moving into the area that will be followed by some clearing before the major cloud gets here. Since the cloud and thin haze that was there didn't adversely affect my observing I am going to say that CSC was accurate again tonight. I was using my PDA almost continuously and that and the temperature drained the fully charged battery in about an hour which was when the clouds started to arrive. I stuck it out for another 30 minutes and as I was packing up some strong gusts of wind came through. During the time I was there I observed the tops of the trees to be in perpetual motion. The wind was out of the NW so was at my back most of the time and not a real problem.
Time
Local
Wind
Dir
Speed
Gusts
Vis
Miles
Cloud
Cover
Temp
°F
Wind
Chill
°F
1951 EST NW
12
20
10 Clr 40°F 31°F
2051 ESt W
12
--
10 Clr 39°F 32°F
2151 EST W
9
20
10 Clr 38 28
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments Canon IS 15x50 binocular -- Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

Canon 15x50 IS
Binocular
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
My goal tonight was to look into M45 and see how deeply I could see with my binocular and how that compares to the assessment I made with SAR. To do this properly I should be making the observations simultaneously so that the conditions match up all along the way. But since I only have one tripod that will not happen. Someday maybe I will repeat the process with both sets of optics on the same night but for now this will have to do.
StarMag.
M45, The Pleiades
Maia3.87
Taygeta4.30
Electra3.72
Celaeno5.45
Asterope5.76
Sterope II6.43
TYC 1800-1908-17.33
TYC 1800-1974-17.58
TYC 1800-1961-18.10
TYC 1803-188-18.11
TYC 1799-73-18.27
TYC 1803-486-18.06
Alcyone2.85
TYC 1800-2201-16.27
TYC 1800-1607-18.19
TYC 1800-1567-17.28
HIP 176926.99
HIP 176846.98
TYC 1800-1630-17.76
TYC 1800-2192-17.79
Atlas3.62
Pleione5.05
TYC 1800-901-17.95
TYC 1804-265-17.52
HIP 178626.62
TYC 1800-985-17.53
TYC 1804-163-17.44
HIP 178326.47
HIP 179006.17
HIP 179236.73
HIP 179996.95
M44, Beehive Cluster
39 Cnc6.39
HIP 425236.61
TYC 1395-2003-17.94
HIP 425786.83
HIP 426006.77
ε Cnc6.29
HIP 425496.42
TYC 1395-2006-17.59
TYC 1395-1677-17.46
TYC 1395-1993-17.45
TYC 1395-2711-17.29
HIP 424976.59
TYC 1395-2003-17.94
HIP 424856.65
TYC 1395-1928-17.44
TYC 1395-2445-18.47
HIP 426736.90
HIP 425426.76
TYC 1395-2198-17.64
TYC 1395-2366-19.23
TYC 1395-2404-111.75
impossible
TYC 1395-2311-110.71
doubtful
TYC 1395-2210-18.03
TYC 1395-1721-17.93
TYC 1395-1886-18.42
TYC 1395-744-18.31
TYC 1398-50-18.99
TYC 1398-99-110.09
doubtful
TYC 1398-266-18.15
TYC 1398-128-17.75
TYC 1398-75-19.22
TYC 1398-161-19.38
TYC 1395-814-18.14
TYC 1398-266-18.15
TYC 1398-158-19.99
doubtful
Orion's Sword
θ1 Ori4.98
θ2 Ori4.98
TYC 4774-934-16.20
TYC 4774-935-18.38
TYC 4774-849-18.44
HIP 263146.56
TYC 4778-1369-17.34
TYC 4774-809-18.06
Nair al Saif2.75
HIP 261994.78
HIP 261975.67
TYC 4778-1358-17.14
TYC 4778-1350-18.26
TYC 4778-1370-17.44
HIP 263146.56
TYC 4778-1369-17.34
HIP 262586.75
45 Ori5.24
42 Ori4.58
HIP 261376.80
TYC 4774-925-17.31
TYC 4774-927-17.17
HIP 262336.57
HIP 262346.24
HIP 262576.56
TYC 4774-921-17.12
TYC 4774-917-17.54
TYC 4774-919-17.75
TYC 4774-65-17.58
TYC 4774-189-18.08
Faintest Star Observed
OpticsMag.
Binocular9.38
Telescope

I am having trouble writing here that I saw Mag 9 stars but the number of times they appear in the list leads me to believe that it might be so. The Mag 11 is probably me tapping the wrong star and the same for the 10s, but I don't think I would have tagged 7 stars wrong and all within the same cluster and none in the others. I just can't bring myself to claim anything fainter than 9.5 though. This needs further study.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet
Time20060305. EST
CommentsSaturn is still in the same FOV with M44, Praesape, the Beehive Cluster. Saturn looked very crisp and bright and obviously not round.

TargetMoon
ConstellationTau
CategoryLunar
Time20060305. EST
CommentsI could just fit the Moon and Aldeberan in the same FOV.

The terminator was going down through the middle of Mare Serenitatis. Other than the marea, the main features of note were the triplet of craters slightly south of the equator and a way off the terminator, Theophilus, Cyrillus and Catharina. It appeared to me that Theophilus intruded into Cyrillus as far as the later's central peak. I did not note the smaller craters around the walls of Catharina that are depicted in the LAC atlas charts. There were a couple of craters farther south that were very dark with shadow on their floor.

About 2145 EST a band of cloud passed over the moon. At that time it was in a halo of illuminated cirrus clouds. The outer edge of the illumination had a deeb red tinge to it.

TargetMars
ConstellationTau
CategoryPlanet
Time20060305. EST
CommentsMars was above the Cyclopse. It looked very bright and orange.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.