31 March 2006

31 March 2006

The weather is not looking good for the Pleiades occultations on Saturday night.
Saturday, 1Apr061600170018001900200021002200
The Weather ChannelThunder ShowersPartly CloudyMostly Clear
Weather UndergroundShowersChance of RainPartly Cloudy
AccuWeatherRainMostly CloudyPartly Cloudy
Forecasts as of 2400 EDT 30Mar06


Observing
Location
White Plains Road and Mcgraw Avenue, The Bronx, NY
Observational
Period
0430-0500 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
This is not an ideal location for stargazing being located at an entrance/exit to I-95 and well lit with street lamps, but even getting there my impression was that transparency was below what was forecast. Looking to the S and W the only objects I could locate were Arcturus, Jupiter, Altair and Tarazed. On the way home I saw Vega, Deneb, Sadr, 18 Cyg, and ε Cyg. I don't think it was as transparent as it was supposed to have been.
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetISS and Progress
ConstellationAql
CategorySatellite
Time20060331.0445-0453 EDT
CommentsISS: Seen
Progress: Not Seen

ISS is due to make a visible pass followed one second later by Progress which will dock with ISS tonight to exchange crews. Progress is dark enough that it is not supposed to be visible from here although it is visible from Washington, DC.

It was real rough getting up for this event this morning but I eventually did it.

I saw ISS shining brightly and climbing steeply above White Plains Road. At that time it was taking about four seconds to transit my 4.5° FOV. At its zenith in Aql it was already dimming and its apparent speed had increased to three seconds o transit the FOV. It continued to dim as it moved eastward into a rapidly brightening sky and when it disappeared behind the Parkchester buildings along McGraw Ave its apparent speed had slowed to four seconds to transit the FOV.

I was not able to discern any lightening or darkening of the sky trailing the ISS. On two occasions I stopped tracking the ISS and counted off a second to see if I could identify anything centered in the FOV. Even when the ISS was moving at its fastest both it and Progress should have been in my FOV at the same time. Being a capsule type craft it is a lot smaller than either ISS or a Space Shuttle and it is also painted black. It does not have the solar panel arrays which are what make the ISS shine so brightly.


The weather forecasts have changed a little but not gotten much better.

Saturday, 1Apr061600170018001900200021002200
The Weather ChannelScattered Thunder ShowersMostly CloudyPartly Cloudy
Weather UndergroundRain ShowersRain ShowersChance of Rain
AccuWeatherMostly CloudyPartly Cloudy
Forecasts as of 1200 EST 31Mar06

There is a large low pressure system out over the midwest that is what is going to cause out weather tomorrow. There is supposed to be a high pressure gradient between here and there that caused the posting of fire weather warnings for NYC for this afternoon. The warnings have since been dripped and it isn't very windy here at all,


Here is the weather summary for tomorrow as of midnight tonight

Saturday, 1Apr061600170018001900200021002200
The Weather ChannelPartly Cloudy
Weather UndergroundChance of
Thunderstorms
Chance
of Rain
Partly
Cloudy
AccuWeatherMostly Cloudy
NOAACloud83%80%79%76%75%73%71%
PoP60%30%20%14%14%14%10%
Wind14
W
14
W
14
W
13
WNW
13
WNW
13
WNW
11
WNW
Temp65636057555352
Forecasts as of 2400 EST 31Mar06


2006 Observing Statistics

 DayNightTotal
HoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvgHoursDaysAvg
Jan3.5040.8814.0062.9221.0093.33
Feb 1.00 11.0010.25 61.71 11.25 61.88
Mar 3.75 31.2514.00101.40 17.75 131.37
TOTAL 8.25 81.0341.75221.90 50.00 281.79


Clear Sky Clock Accuracy for the Month of March 2006

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.