30 March 2006

30 March 2006

Observing
Location
PSC
My observations were cut short when I accumulated a large group of teenagers who wanted my binoculars. They dispersed when I got on the ham radio and was in communication with someone else.
Observational
Period
1300-1430 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
At noon it is hazy but the sky still has a light blue color to it. CSC is saying average transparency which is probably about right. Transparency is supposed to drop for a few hours around 1600 EST then rebound around 2000 EST.
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationPsc
CategorySolar
Time20060331.1330 EST
CommentsThere are two groups of spots that have rotated onto the disk of the sun and were hanging down from around 11:00.
865
This spot is the one that is farthest onto the disk and appears biggest and most solid. There is a line of spots trailing it and then a pore.
866
866 is fainter and smaller. It looks like it could be a group of unconsolidated spots but it is still too foreshortened to tell much about it.
HemisphereGroupsSpotsSunspot #
North2323
South000
Total2323
Sunspot # = (Groups *10) + Spots


I just saw a news article about the next crew being en route to the ISS and found that they are due to dock there tomorrow night. I checked Heavens-Above and found that there is a visible pass of the ISS here at 0445 EST tomorrow morning. Next I checked CalSky and found a Progress pass 1 second later but realized that the location in CalSky was set to Washington DC. When I set it to New York City the progress pass disappeared. So it looks like they will be visible flying in tandem south of here but not from here. I may get up to observe just in case.

TimeAltAzMagConstellation
Rises0443 EST0.48°214°
SW
invCen
Appears0429 EST10°205°
SSW
0.5Cen
Max Alt/Transit0448 EST34°137°
SE
-0.3Aql
Disappears/Sets0450 EST10°61°
ENE
5.4And


CalSky graphic

Progress is scheduled to land on 8Apr06 with the current ISS crew. I have not seen any references to visible Progress passes for NYC on either 7Apr06 or 8Apr06.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.