29 March 2006

29 March 2006

Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2130-2230 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
I received email from CSC saying that conditions would be spectacular between 1100 and 1800 EST today. So far I don't think they are as good as predicted. Transparency is good by not 100%.

Conditions are supposed to continue clear with a slight decrease in transparency through the night but unfortunately I have a meeting to attend tonight.

When I got out of my meeting I looked up and could see Castor, Pollux and Saturn framed by the buildings of Broadway down in SoHo so headed up to TotL for a little observing.

Conditions in the park were very good but there was nobody there observing and I didn't have any equipment with me.

I think CSC had a good forecast for tonight.

Instruments Naked-eye observing - Charlie and Tom
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Tom Clabough

I expected that there would be others in the park but found myself alone. I had been talking to a couple of friends on the amateur radio on the way in so continued my conversation while counting stars. After a while Tom came walking up the west side of the lawn and we stood there observing for a bit before walking back the way he had come to see Jupiter rising. I got as much radio done as I did astronomy. But part of the radio conversation was about astronomy.

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
I never got around to identifying what stars I was seeing but did count 48 easily seen stars.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet
Time20060309.2130 EST
CommentsSaturn, to me, looked double. I don't know if it was light refracting off the top of my bifocal or if I was seeing it through the bifocal lens with one eye and the upper portion of the lens with the other, or what. It is nice and bright and seems to be getting farther from Castor and Pollux.

TargetMars
ConstellationTau
CategoryPlanet
Time20060309.2200 EST
CommentsThere were two bright "stars" over the trees north of Orion and I thought one of them was Mars and the other Aldeberan but I couldn't get the Palm to work to conform what we were seeing. Tom felt the lower "star" was Mars and I thought that was Aldeberan and the upper "star" was Mars. All we could see of Orion was Betelgeuse, Alnitak, and Alnilam, the rest of the constellation being below the trees or lost in the schmutz. Auriga was behind the large tree to out west. It turns out the lower "star" was Mars and the upper one Alnath. Mars has moved away from Aldeberan a good bit since the last time I observed them. Advancing Planetarium a day at a time I see that Mars will be centered between Taurus' horns, right next to HIP 25695, a close binary system, on Sunday night. It is 8° between horn tips so I will not be able to see everything in one FOV.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationLib
CategoryPlanet
Time20060309.2215 EST
CommentsVery bright next to the top of one of the tall buildings along Fifth Avenue near the Met. It may have been a little golden.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.