23 March 2006

23 March 2006

There is a notice on SpaceWeather.com today about a hoax picture circulating on the internet that is supposed to show a huge Moon hanging over the tiny Sun as seen from the South Pole. It is a nice picture but the explanation goes on to say that it just can't happen that way. That got me to thinking about the relative size of the planets at aphelion/perihelion and apogee/perigee. And that got me thinking about a day when I was out at the park along and someone asked the distance to Mars and I could look it up in planetarium which gave it in AU, but I couldn't put that into miles which is what the questioner wanted. So I decided to create a spreadsheet to do the conversions in my Palm (that will get lost the next time I have to reset but may come in handy sometime before then). That got me searching the Web and got me a reference to a site called Solar System Live (which I notice is at Forumilab which is one of the sites I am seeing a lot recently). It will show you where all the planets are in their orbits on any data and at any time. You can even plug in the orbital elements of your favorite comet and see where it is.

I wasn't able to find anywhere on the Net where anyone has listed the date of closest perihelion and farthest aphelion. I did find that information for apogee and perigee within a 100 year window ending at 2015. So I have had to use this year's sun information with the historical moon data in the following chart.

Aphelion (typical)
Apogee (mazimum)
Perihelion (typical)
Perigee (minimum)
Distance Subtends Distance Subtends
Sun 152,000,000 km
94,500,000 miles
31.47' 146,000,000 km
91,000,000 miles
32.53'
Moon 406,720 km
252,724 miles
29.78' 356,375 km
221,441 miles
33.83


Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2015-2200 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
At noon it is mostly clear with a few passing fair weather cumulus clouds. The NOAA satellite imagery shows a hole in the clouds ovre the NYC metro area.

NOAA graphic

CSC says it will be clear through 2000 EST then cloud up a little to 10% cover through 0100 EST.


Clear Sky Clock graphic

But NOAA is saying that clouds will already be at 21% by 1900 EST and will build from there.


NOAA graphic

AccuWeather is forecasting thickening clouds for the overnight period with the temperature only dropping to 38°F and the winds around 5mph. They are predicting a RealFeel temperature of 36°F.

When I went out to dinner it was cloudy but when I returned a half hour later it was clear. I got my gear together and headed out and by the time I got back downstairs it was mostly cloudy but I kept going.

When I got into the park it was mostly cloudy but there were some holes, or at least thinner spots, in the clouds. Sometimes you could see a star and sometimes it would be gone. It was a little nippy but there was no wind.

I think conditions were worse tonight than what CSC was (and still is) predicting and more in line with the NOAA prediction.

Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 - Charlie

I had the scope with me so set it up but didn't use it much.

Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
I wanted to do a limiting magnitude assessment for GLOBE at Night but the sky wouldn't cooperate again tonight. I did eventaully see stars down in the Mag 3.5-4 range, but not early enough to count them toward a GLOBE observation.

TargetSaturn
ConstellationCnc
CategoryPlanet
Time20060323.2045 EST
CommentsI could tell that Saturn wasn't round and when it was off to the left side of the field of view I thought I detected space between the rings and the planet on the sides. Saturn does not look as cigar shaped as it used to. This is due to the rings being near their maximum inclination (through 15May06) which makes the view more face on rather than edge on. After seeing the location of the moons in Kin's Tablet PC planetarium program it was fairly easy to pick out Titan off to the west of the planet.

TargetM45, The Beehive Cluster
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20060323.2130 EST
CommentsI looked at M45 early on and all I could see were the bright stars. Later, when it had moved further west, I could see the dusting of faint stars between the gright ones.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.