22 March 2006
| Observing Location | Virginia Ave off Metropolitan Ave, The Bronx, NY
Lat: 40.834690547309265, Long: -73.861985206604 |
|---|---|
| Observational Period | 2145 EST |
| Atmospheric Conditions | Tonight is the start of the GLOBE (Global Learning and Observations to Benefit the Environment) at Night light-pollution survey and I had hoped to get out and make an assessment from at least one location in The Bronx. But the assessments have to be made between 1900 and 2100 hrs local time (so the kids don't have to stay up too late and also, Orion isn't dipping down into the schmutz). CSC now says it won't be clear enough to make any observations until 2100 EST.
Clear Sky Clock graphic When I left the library at around 1935 Hrs it was very clear out and I thought I might stop off at TotL on the way home. At 2030 when I left dinner and was headed for Grand Central Terminal it was completely overcast. When I arrived home it was mostly cloudy, very windy and raw. I was glad I hadn't stopped off at TotL as I was not dressed for those weather conditions. |
| Instruments | Naked-eye Observing - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
| Target | Orion |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Ori |
| Category | Constellation |
| Time | 20060322.2145 EST |
| Comments | As I was walking up from the subway I spied Orion through a gap in the clouds and stopped long enough to see what stars I could see. It didn't take long as there weren't many. I got a hint of the star below Alnitak at Mag 3.77 but did not see his head which are Mag 3.2, 3.39 and 3.4 stars all grouped close together. I saw more stars than on the GLOBE Mag 3 chart but not as many as on their Mag 4 chart so am going to go with Mag 3.5. I was tempted to sneak the report in but it was 45 minutes outside of the reporting window so restrained myself. |
While I was at Grand Central Terminal looking at the stars in the ceiling I thought of submitting a report for that location but decided to behave. I think they are probably showing Mag 6 stars at least, but I have never noticed M45. I have often looked for Auriga and haven't picked it out either. I will have to look for M45 the next time I am there, and M44 as well.
<< Home