16 March 2006

16 March 2006

Blogger ate another of my posts. This time it didn't even publish it first. This the second blog thay have done this to.


Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2100-2145 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
CSC and NOAA were at odds today over the forecast. CSC was forecasting that it would be clear around 1700 EST, which it was, and would then get cloudy.

Clear Sky Clock graphic

NOAA was saying 2% cloud cover at 1700 EST and it would drop even lower through the same time tomorrow.


Clear Sky Clock graphic

It looked very clear when I went downtown for a meeting tonight. On getting out of the meeting I looked up and could see stars between the buildings. When I got to TotL there was at least 50% cloud cover. There were sky worms everywhere and just plane old clouds. The sky to the north was obscured but there were holes in the clouds to the south and I suspect that since the weather station is at Belvedere Castle, south of TotL, a check of the NOAA observed conditions for Central Park will show that they were better at the time than I observed. I stood around for 45 minutes watching the stars as they appeared in the holes in the clouds. It wasn't terribly cold but there was a moderate wind. I think CSC was dead on tonight. NOAA is now saying 20% cloud cover but there was more cloud there than on previous nights when they say 40% so they are the ones who were way off tonight. I would call it a Mag 4 sky (between the clouds) tonight.

TimeWind
Dir.
Speed
Gusts
Vis.SkyTemp.
2051 ESTVar
3
--
10 mClr39°F
2151 ESTVar
6 mph
--
10 mClr39°F
InstrumentsI had the Canons with me but never got them out.
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

I saw Leo for the first time this season. At various times it was clear enough to pick out all the major stars. The kite of Bootes was laying over on its side just above the trees and I could see three stars on the lower side of the kite as well as the tail star.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.