07 February 2006

7 February 2006

I received a link to a news story about an astronomy society in Columbus, OH and their nearby private telescope farm.
Columbus Dispatch

I scanned the satellite imagery in both Google Maps and Google Earth trying to find the location of the scopes but the resolution of the images is not sufficient to get a good look at individual houses let along a standalone dome.


Early reports on the SuitSat experiment indicated that the radio's batteries died shortly after it was set adrift. But it has since been heard from by people all over the world. The signal is weak and requires a high gain antenna to receive it so my decision not to get cranked over it was a good one.

It strikes me that the science behind the experiment it bogus. Ostensibly it is to see what the temperature is inside the spacesuit and how long the transmitter batteries last. But who cares how cold it gets in an empty spacesuit. Any time anyone wears one of the things they are using climate control so all we are learning is how cold it is in space and I have to believe that we have instruments on the outside of the ISS and other satellites that are already gathering that data.

This appears to me to be a way for some ham radio operators to get a fancy toy to play with and for NASA to get rid of some ISS garbage.


I just got spam from Sky and Telescope announcing a new pocket star atlas. It sells for $20 and is called Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas. At 6"x9" it is a little big for my pocket though. It is printed in color and has stars down to Mag 7.6 which is over a full magnitude dimmer than most full size atlases I see in the stores. There are 80 maps with adjacent maps showing adjacent areas of the sky (want a concept). Around the map collar are markings telling what map to turn to if the one on the facing page isn't the one you need. It is spiral bound with a paper spine which will prevent you from folding it back for one hand use.

Scheduled to ship in April but the are taking pre-orders now.

Pocket Sky Atlas


Observing
Location
Science, Industry and Business Library, Madison Ave @ 34 St, New York, NY
Observational
Period
1900-1915 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
The temperature has dropped considerably since this afternoon and it looks clearer than the forecasts were predicting. If they got it wrong and it doesn't get hazy then tonight will be a good observing night. I have to put is some time with my nose in a book studying for my ham radio exam and again am not dressed for standing out in the cold so won’t be observing again until next week.
TransparencyGood
Seeing 
Instruments Naked-eye observing
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationTau
CategoryLunar
Time20060207.1900 EST
CommentsUpon leaving the library tonight after yet another round of Windows updates on the Tablet PC I stopped to observe the Moon shining above the buildings across the avenue. There was a tiny dot of light to its 7:00 that I found was Alnath, β Tauri. Off to the right were Aldeberan, α Tauri and Mars. Although I could not see Orion, Planetarium tells me that the three red “stars” Betelgeuse, Aldeberan and Mars are still lined up and will remain like that through next week when Mars will begin to pass Aldeberan and form a long isosoles triangle

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.