06 February 2006

6 February 2006

Observing
Location
New York City
Observational
Period
Atmospheric
Conditions
It has turned cold again. It really isn't any colder than it should be in the winter, it is just very cold in comparison to the weather we have been having lately. It was cloudy when I came home and I never even thought of observing. CSC says it is supposed to be nearly cloudless and fairly transparent but poor seeing so I guess windy. AccuWeather says 10 MPH winds gusting to 22 MPH. It doesn't sound like good observing weather. Anyway, I am supposed to be studying for my ham radio license this week although I couldn't get into it today after finishing up updating my occultation maps.
Instruments
Observing
Party

I received this in the email a while back and just ran across it while cleaning out the mailbox.

Can you raed tihs? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! If you can raed tihs psas it on!!
I didn't have much of a problem reading the message. The faster I read the fewer problems I had. Occasionally I would get stopped by a letter combination that is just to alien to what we see in the English language, but it didn't take long to get past it.

If I applied this principle to astronomy I should be able to read the right word if I spell it wrong, which I often do, as long as I had the right beginning and ending letters and the word was about the right length.

So looking at the constellation names I should be able to use them interchangeably and get my meaning across:

AntilaAquilaAuriga
CygnusCorvus
EquuleusEridanus
LepusLupus
MensaMusca
PegasusPerseus
PiscesPuppis
SerpensSextans
Somehow I don't think it is going to work.

I remember reading long ago that we don't read the letters in words but rather the shapes of the whole words. That is why it is easier to read lower case text, there are ascenders and descenders mixed in with the lower case letter bodies that give lower case text more variability that solid uppercase. And serif on the letters are supposed to contribute to character recognition as well.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.