28 February 2006

28 February 2006

I was supposed to attend a PHP meeting tonight. They will be talking about RSS, Atom and another similar technology. I was particularly interested in hearing this talk since I use RSS on my occultations web site.

But CSC says it is going to be clear tonight at sunset and the Moon is a 1.4% first crescent. If I can catch it it will be the first time I have seen the last crescent of one lunation and the first crescent of the next lunation. The elapsed time between the two events would be around 60h15m if I were to spot the Moon tonight right at sunset.


CSC graphic

NOAA says it is going to be cold out there with a wind blowing in my face.


NOAA graphic

The Sun is about 13° to the lower right of the Moon and Mercury is about 5° to the upper right of the Moon. Mercury is directly over the Sun by about 18°.


Distant Suns graphic


Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
1700-1800 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Clear and cold. Lots of boiling on the limb of the Sun.
TransparencyGood
SeeingFair
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationAqr
CategorySolar
Time20060228.1700 EST
CommentsSpaceWeather.com is showing one sunspot just rotating off of the eastern limb and a sunspot number of 11, but I wasn't able to find it.
 GroupsSpotsR
Northern
Hemisphere
000
Southern
Hemisphere
000
Total000
NOAA Boulder Sunspot Number 11
R = 10 * Groups + Spots

TargetFirst Crescent Moon
ConstellationPsc
CategoryLunar
Time20060228.1800 EST
CommentsI found the Moon again today by just sweeping the binocular across the area where I thought the ecliptic was. I had swept the area many times before but this time caught an out-of-focus glint of light. It wasn't really a glint; I think of that more as a specular feature and this was more of a brighter area in a bright sky. Focusing was a problem. I had focused on the Sun when I first got there. But I had changed the focus point several times while looking for Mercury and was guessing at where Mercury and the Moon would focus. I would focus on the tree branches then on a building and finally an airplane then move the focus point farther in that direction by an arbitrary distance. I didn't wait around after seeing both the crescent Moon and Mercury to see the earthshine and the old Moon in the new Moon's arms, but headed down to my PHP meeting. The time difference between sighting the last crescent and the first was 59 hours 27 minutes. That is based on when I documented first seeing the old crescent and not when I last saw it which I did not document so the time if probably more line 59h15m or maybe even less.
Magnitude-5.5m
Elongation13.32°
% Illuminated1.4%
Age23h08m
Sun's Altitude-3.44°

It is interesting that Cartes du Ciel, which I think of as a star chart, does a better job of representing the moon as it will appear in the sky than does Virtual Moon Atlas. Cartes du Ciel takes phase rotation into account and shows where the illuminated section of the limb will be when where the craters and marea will be in relation to it.


Cartes du Ciel graphic

Virtual Moon Atlas always shows the moon with north at the top of the screen and just masks off the portion of the moon that is in shadow. The masking is very crude, being large squares that create a jagged arc when you zoom in on it. But the thing that annoys me most about the program is that they use the same picture for the whole lunar cycle so there is shadow on the western edge of all the craters even when the sun is off to the east and the shadow should be inside that side of the crater walls.


Virtual Moon Atlas graphic

TargetMercury
ConstellationPsc
CategoryPlanet
Time20060228.1801 EST
CommentsBen said in an email that I shouldn't have any trouble locating the Moon if I looked below an to the left of Mercury. But I only found Mercury by looking above and to the right of the Moon. Mercury just looked like a point of light. I could not discern any phase or color.

Magnitude0.6m
% Illuminated27.0%


Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2115-2145 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Cold but not too windy. Lots of broken stratus clouds.
Transparencypoor
Seeing 
Instruments Naked-eye observing - Charlie
I had the binoculars with me but it wasn't worth getting them out. The clouds were moving too fast to have enough time to study anything.
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

When I got out of my meeting the sky looked dark overhead on 57 St and Madison Ave so I grabbed a quick bite of dinner. Then I took the bus up to AMNH and walked into the park expecting to find Peter and maybe Kin there. On reaching The Great Lawn the sky appeared a little light. When I got up to TotL and looked south it was even worse. I spent 30 minutes watching the clouds pass in front of the stars and looking at the spatial relationships between them.

Mars is really moving away from the Pleiades. It is no longer in line with Betelgeus and Aldeberan. I estimated that it would form a right triangle with them in about a week but on stepping through the days in Planetarium it turns out to be two weeks. The Pleiades often look to me like a misshapen arrowhead or spear point and it is now pointing roughly at Mars. Betelgeuse, Mars and Capella are currently forming a large right triangle.

Betelgeuse0.45m
Aldebaran0.87m
Mars0.80m
Capella0.08m

Looking over at Saturn, it is forming a shallow arc with Castor and Pollux. It forms another shallow arc with Procyon and Sirius. Drawing straight lines between Castor and Saturn and Saturn and Sirius creates the short legs of another right triangle, the hypotenuse being between Sirisu and Castor.

Castor1.58m
Pollux1.16m
Saturn-0.10m
Procyon0.40m
Sirius-1.44m

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.