26 February 2006

26 February 2006

Observing
Location
CSP
Observational
Period
0500-0700 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Cold! It was around 20°F but the wind chill factor was down around 8°F. I was dressed for the weather but my feet still got cold before the end of the two hours. I don't know if they were too warm and were sweating that made them cold or if the wool socks and insulated boots just aren't up to the job when I am standing still. My nose would get cold when the wind would blow around the edges of my hood. And my eyepieces kept fogging up from the moisture in my exhaled breaths.
Central Park
TimeTemper-
ature
WindWind
Chill
DirectionSustainedGusts
045119°FVbl7 MPH21 MPH3°F
045119°FW8 MPH--9°F
045118°FW14 MPH22 MPH1°F

LaGuardia Airport
TimeTemper-
ature
WindWind
Chill
DirectionSustainedGusts
045121°FNW23 MPH30 MPH3°F
045120°FNW22 MPH29 MPH2°F
045120°FNW21 MPH--4°F
NOAA does not provide Wind Chill values on their observed conditions web pages so I had to use their calculator at http://www.srh.noaa.gov/elp/wxcalc/windchill.html. I used wind gusts when present, sustained wing when there were no gists recorded.

TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular w/Baader AstroSolar failter film- Charlie
Takahashi Flourite Apochromatic Binocular 22x60 w/Thousand Oaks solar filter - Peter
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac

Nothing was where it belonged again. This time it was not only the paucity of recent observing sessions but the fact that I rarely see the morning stars. I saw a bright star high up to the NE and finally picked up on the four stars beneath it and figured out it was Vega and Lyra. Just below that were four stars that I made into a W and thought I had Cassiopeia until I realized it was the body of Cygnus. Scorpius looked real nice low on the horizon just like we used to see it at nigiht over the trees and apartment buildings to the east at TotL and I knew when I saw the sting that Sagittarius whould be right nextdoor but I couldn't find it naked-eye. There was a jumble of stars up high in the ESE that I figured must be Ophiuchus since it didn't seem to have much pattern to it.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanet
Time20060226.0500 EST
CommentsAntares and Dschubba were pointing at Jupiter and looked very nice. Working back along the scorpions curving body I found the sting slightly above the horizon. Going back to Jupiter with the binoculats I found a cluster of stars next to it that I could not identify. There was nothing as bright as they were in Planetarium and the pattern didn't match what was being shown in Jup. And they looked to bright to be moons anyway. I didn't know what I had although I was sure I had Jupiter. Peter set me straight.




Cartes du Ciel graphic


Distant Suns graphic

TargetVenus
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanet
Time20060226.0515 EST
CommentsVenus looked very yellow and was showing phase. There was a broad, flat triangle of bright stars just above the planet.
TYC 6299-02608-17.57m
55 Sgr5.06m
HIP 970635.49



Cartes du Ciel graphic

TargetC/2006 A1 (Pojmanski)
ConstellationCap
CategoryComet
Time20060226.0530 EST
CommentsNot Seen The sky was light enough that I wasn't able to find any stars other than Dabiah (β Cap), Mag 3.05, and HIP 100325, Mag 6.09.
Since we were able to see a 6.09m star nearby, and a 7.57m star slightly higher (and in a sligntly darker sky) it seems like we should have seen the comet which has a brightness estimated at around 5.3m. But there was nothing there. It must be because the brighness as spread over a greater surface area than is the brightness of an equally bright star.

In the image below you can see the Sun in the lower left corner and Venus in the upper right. Pojmanski is the circle on the right with the line heading off at a 45° angle that doesn't connect to anything.


Carted du Ciel graphic


Cartes du Cciel graphic

TargetLast Crescent Moon
ConstellationCap
CategoryLunar
Time20060226.0632 EST
CommentsI took a chance and det ly binoculars just above the band of clouds and panned from near the sun to the south and bumped into the Moon right over the Roosevelt Island lighthouse. There wasn't much contrast difference between it and the background sky but it was enough that it could be seen naked-eye once you knew what to look for and where to look for it. I only saw about 90° of arc of the sunlit linb.
Magnitude-6.0m
% Illuminated3.7%
Elongation22.25°
Altitude2.00°
Age27d21h16m
Sun's Altitude-1.32°

I think this is the oldest crescent I have ever seen but Peter thinks we have seen older ones, or at least thinner. I only remember successfully observing one old crescent and it wasn't even the last crescent of the lunation, we were doing a dry run that day for the real thing the following day when we got clouded out.

TargetSunspots
ConstellationAqr
CategorySolar
Time20060226.0650 EST
CommentsI was not expecting to see any sunspots and was neither surprised nor disappointed. I waited a while for the sun to get up into more stable air before concluding that the sun was a bland white disk as far as I could tell with my binocular and white light filter.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.