27 January 2006

27 January 2006

This sounds interesting. The ISS is going to jettison a nearly-empty old spacesuit containing a radio transmitter that will continuously broadcast telemetry. It will report on the condition of its batteries and the temperature inside the suit and the elapsed time of the mission but not, apparently, information on radiation received. The telemetry will be broadcast in English so you can listen to it here on Earth if you can pick up the signal. The suit will be broadcasting on frequency 149.99 MHz under call sign RS0RS. I checked my short wave radio and that frequency is not available on that rig. You could tune an emergency services scanner to that frequency but it says you would need a big antenna. The frequency is also in the amateur 2-meter band so if I buy a handheld radio I might be able to put some sort of high gain antenna on it.

I did some more reading and the likely release date of the suit is 3Feb06 and the anticipated battery life is only 2-4 days so this is not something I would be able to get geared up for before then or something that I should be investing money in given its short duration.

Universe Today article.
SuitSat tracking page
Science@NASA story

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.