25 December 2005

25 December 2005

Observing
Location
PSC
Observational
Period
0800-0845 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions

It looks like it will be a white Christmas this year but the white will be clouds in the sky rather than snow on the ground.

As of 24Dec05, 2100 EST, it is looking marginal for tomorrow. It is nice and clear out right now but the forecasts call for it to cloud over before sunrise.

Clear Sky Clock graphic

NOAA graphic It is going to be another of those get-up-and-see events.

I set the alarm for 0700 EST and got up to check the weather. Looking out the window I can't tell a thing. I don't know what I am supposed to be seeing so can't tell if I am seeing overcast or just a light haze and the sun isn't far enough up to really light up the sky. I am going to have to go out there and see what conditions are like.

Clear Sky Clock graphic

The NOAA forecast doesn't look good but looking out the window I can't tell what the actual conditions are.

NOAA graphic

The GOES IR satellite image doesn't look all that bad.

NOAA graphic

NOAA forecast for 0900 EST, 25Dec05
As ofCloud
Cover
POPTemp
WindWind
Chill
20Dec05
2100 EST
90%40%   
22Dec05
2100 EST
91%19%40°F5 MPH--
23Dec05
2000 EST
92%14%38°F3 MPH--
24Dec05
2100 EST
69%14%40°F3 MPH--
25Dec05
0600 EST
58%18%40°F3 MPH--
Observed
Conditions
(Central Park)
41°F, 7 MPH, OVC002, Fog/Mist, Vis 1.25 Mi

I have not validated their forecasts, but dryday.com creates a precipitation forecast 18 months in advance and doesn't change it. They say there is a slightly better chance that it will be a dry day on Christmas than a wet one, but they don't provide any information about cloud cover.

dryday.com graphic
If today is any indication of the validity of these forecasts dryday.com is all wet, and we will be too.

It was bad.

As soon as I got outside I kinda knew it wasn't going to happen, but I walked up to the designated bench on the oval anyway. From there I could see the chunk of sky where I was supposed to be observing the Moon in a blue sky. But all I could see was a light gray deck of cloud. The tops of the buildings looked like they might be wet. As I sat there fog started to cover the tops of the tallest buildings and gradually came down to near ground level. I sat watching the squirrels for about 45 minutes to make sure conditions were really worsening and it really looks like the predictions for terrible weather this afternoon and evening age going to come true.

Instruments SAR: Coulter CT-100 - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetOccultation of Spica
ConstellationCMa
CategoryOccultation
Time25Dec05
0930 EST
CommentsNot Seen - clouded out
Sky and Telescope article on the occultation.
Space.com article about the occultation.
A "Night Before Christmas take on the story from StarDate


Observing
Location
Observational
Period
EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
It has been raining all afternoon so I guess CSC is right. Close enough for government work anyway.

Clear Sky Clock graphic
Transparency
Seeing
Instruments
Observing
Party

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.