08 November 2005

7 November 2004

Observing
Location
MacDonalds, Westchester Ave, Bronx, NY
I didn't actually eat here. I was at the library across the street and wanted to see Venus but the elevated subway was in the way so I had to cross over into the MacDonalds' parking lot to make my observation before going to Blimpie.
Observational
Period
1645 & 1715 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
I think there is some haze up there and I know there are scattered stratus clouds around. The temperature is very comfortable and there is little wind
Instruments Naked-eye
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationCap
CategoryLunar
Time1645 & 1715 EST
CommentsThe moon looked nearly First Quarter hanging over the buildings to the south. On my first observation right at sunset I could see the dark side of the moon. About 30 minutes later at the beginning of Nautical Twilight I was only able to see dimly a small portion of the lower darkened side of the moon. Mare Crisium was easily visible without visual aides.

TargetVenus
ConstellationSgr
CategoryPlanet
Time1645 & 1715 EST
CommentsWhen I first saw the moon on leaving my building I could not find Venus even though I knew where to look because there were clouds in that part of the sky that, although light, were blocking the planet. On reaching the library the clouds had moved on and I didn't even have to measure to see where to look for Venus. It was bright in the still light sky. When I got back home the sky was much darker and Venus appeared much brighter and bigger.


Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
1930-0030 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
By the time I got to the park conditions had degraded considerably since my last observing the Moon and Venus on the way home from dinner. And they got worse over the next two hours. The Moon started out over CPS in light haze with a big ring or illumination around it out to a distance of about 3 moon diameters. By the time it was ready to drop behind the Time Warner building it was behind much thicker cloud and indistinct. But around 2130 EST conditions began to improve to the north and we got some pretty nice views up there. It was breezy requiring that you hold on to Peter's scope to stabilize the view.
TransparencyVariable
SeeingVariable
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular - Charlie
Fujinon 10x70 binocular - Ben
Teleport 10" Dobsonian Refractor - Peter
Celestron 7x50 binocular - Kin
Observing
Party
We started out observing tonight with each of us doing his own thing and little communication between us. Later, after the transparency had improved we spent some time around Peter's scope looking at Mars and Ben and I compared views of a few double stars in our respective binoculars.
All of the regulars were out tonight.
Charlie Ridgway
Ben Cacace
Peter Tagatac
Kin Lee

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
We did a little NELM check in the Hyades late in the evening.
N
E
4.8
Zenith
W
S
StarMagnitude
θ1 Tau3.84
θ2 Tau3.40
75 Tau4.96
π Tau4.69
71 Tau4.48
HIP 21029 & HIP 215034.78 &6.50
δ1 Tau3.77
δ2 Tau4.80
δ3 Tau4.3
4.4/7.6

TargetMoon
ConstellationCap
CategoryLunar
Time7Nov05; 1930 EST
CommentsHaze was obscuring the finer details of the Moon. The terminator was passing down through Mare Serenitatis. The craters Atistoteles and Eudoxus were just outside the terminator.
The darkened surface of the Moon looked darkest just inside the terminator and appeared to get brighter the farther from the terminator you looked until at the limb it looked a dusty gray. This is probably a contrast effect with the brightly illuminated portion of the moon on the daylight face.
sketch

TargetMars
ConstellationTau
CategoryPlanet
Time7Nov05; ~2130 EST
CommentsThe seeing came and went and the wind buffeted the telescope a lot but the views were nice if you waited them out.
The dark band across the planet appeared to be farther toward the top (south pole) tonight. It had a decided downward curve part way across the planet from the trailing, eastern limb. At one point I picked up a thinner band over top of it. I was not able to see Sirtis Major which Ben and Peter saw rotating onto the disk from the western limb.
sketch

TargetAlberio, β Cygni
ConstellationCyg
CategoryDouble Star
Time7Nov05; 2140 EST
CommentsA tight, unequal double of differing colors -- gold/blue
35", m3.1/5.1

Target31 Cygni
ConstellationCyg
CategoryDouble Star
Time7Nov05, 2155 EST
CommentsA very wide -- about a dime -- unequal double with a color difference -- gold/blue. The gold star has a dim secondary, probably HIP 99676.
336", m3.8/4.8
Planetarium indicates another wide double to the lower left of this one that I missed, ο Cyg, 101", m3.8/7.0, and will have to come back here.

Targetω Cygni
ConstellationCyg
CategoryDouble Star
Time7Nov05; 2200 EST
CommentsA wide, orange/white double. It is so wide that I wouldn't have associated the two stars had there not been an indication of it in Planetarium.
257", m5.4/6.6

Target61 Cygni
ConstellationCyg
CategoryDouble Star
Time7Nov05, 2205 EST
Commentsa tight -- pin thickness -- unequal double.
31.9", 5.2/6.0

Target79 Cygni
ConstellationCyg
CategoryDouble star
Time7Nov05; 2210 EST
CommentsA wide -- about size of a pea -- dim, unequal double.
150", m5.7/7.0

Targetγ Delphini
ConstellationDel
CategoryDouble Star
Time7Nov04; 2225 EST
CommentsLooks slightly elongated, not split.
9.6", m4.5/5.5

Target1 Equuleus
ConstellationEqu
CategoryDouble Star
Time7Nov05; 2230 EST
CommentsDim, not split. 10.6", m5.4 (6.0/6.3)/7.?

Targetψ Draconis
ConstellationDra
CategoryDouble Star
Time7Nov05; 2240 EST
CommentsA tight, unequal double in which I did not detect and color difference.
30.1", m4.6/5.8

Target78 Camelopardalis
ConstellationCam
CategoryDouble Star
Time7Nov05; 2250 EST
CommentsA very tight, slightly unequal double
21.5", m5.3/5.8

Target40 & 41 Draconis
ConstellationDra
CategoryDouble Star
Time7Nov05; 2255 EST
CommentsFairly equal, very tight double.
18.8", m5.7/6.0

Target75 Draconis
ConstellationDra
CategoryDouble Star
Time7Nov05; 2255 EST
CommentsA wide, unequal double with no color detected. Not split.
197", 5.4/6.6
[I was probably only looking at one of the stars trying to split it and not seeing the real companion far away.]

TargetCrab Nebula, M1, NGC1952
ConstellationTau
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time7Nov05, 2345 EST
CommentsAt low power in Peter's scope I thought I saw a brightening in the area where he and Ben were seeing the nebula. It is nothing I am very confident of having seen last night.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.