09 July 2005

9 July 2005

Comfortable temperature for sitting in the sun, strong gusting wind, passing clouds, very slight boiling on the top limb of the Sun, no haze.
Observing
Location
Parkchester South Condominium oval, The Bronx, NY
Observational
Period
1745-1800 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
TransparencyExcellent
SeeingExcellent
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time9Jul05; 1745 EDT
Comments
783
NE quadrant. I saw a very white spot on the limb where I was not seeing any granularity but I did not see any spots in it.
786
NE quadrant. This is the dominant spot right now. It is the most complex and largest in area. There are two larger spots in it that each look like they have a penumbra. There are several smaller spots and it looks like a circle around the group where the granularity of the rest of the disk begins.
788
SE quadrant. This is a single large spot.
789
NW quadrant. This group is composed of two large spots with a small smudge between them

 GroupsSpotsR
Northern
Hemisphere
2828
Southern
Hemisphere
1111
Total3939
NOAA Boulder Sunspot Number111
R = 10 * Groups + Spots


I had been thinking about going down to central park to observe tonight but put of the go/no go decision until 19:30 because the satellite loop was showing clouds coming down around the back side of the low pressure system that had been Tropical Depression Cindy. I was heading home to take a look at the latest imagery when I saw some ominous looking clouds out to the west. I went over a couple of blocks to where the buildings were not as tall and could see parts of the cloud hanging down like where you would expect a tornado to develop. I walked down to the Cross Bronx Expressway where I had a good view to the west and could see the clouds moving my way with rain following them. I decided to stay there and observe for a while figuring I would see the highway get wet and have warning to get home. I watched as more and more of the cloud moved over me and I could see the rain falling at the back edge of it. But the highway never got wet and I thought it was virga. I felt a few drops of rain but was still seeing it falling a good way off and the highway was not getting wet so still I figured it was virga and a few drops were getting through. It started to sprinkle so I headed towards the house in no particular hurry, but I was reading a library book and didn't want to get it wet. Before I got over two blocks to Metropolitan Avenue it was raining heavily. It let up a little when the traffic light changed in my favor so I raced across the street and stood under the sidewalk shed of the building adjacent to mine until the rain slackened enough for me to make it to the house without getting too wet. I checked the radar and it looks like most of the rain is now upstate, but it isn't worth taking the chance. I am not going observing tonight.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.