31 July 2005

31 July 2005

Observing
Location
PSC
Observational
Period
1805-1825 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
Hot, partly cloudy (wispy semi-transparent clouds), no breeze. Minor boiling when clouds not present.
TransparencyFair to Good
SeeingVery Good
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
Constellation
CategorySolar
Time EDT
CommentsActivity is picking up. I saw one spot that appears on the SOHO photo but is not numbered yet and will probably be 794, and another that has just rotated into view and is not shown on the SOHO photo yet but should become 795.
791
NW quadrant. This one doesn't seem to be getting any closer to the limb to my eye. It is still one small spot without penumbra but is surrounded by a void.
792
NE quadrant. This is the major spot on the sun right now. I see it as two small P spots in a light gray penumbra with two large f spots in a combined penumbra. The whole group is surrounded by a void area. In the SOHO image the P spots look like they are all penumbra and no spot. The F spot appears to be a single spot with and extended penumbra.
793
NW quadrant. I can see three spots in this group. They are all small and no penumbras are evident. The group is surrounded by a void.
794 ?
SE quadrant. This is the first southern spot in a while. It is close to the limb and looks like one spot with a void surrounding it.
795 ?
NE quadrant. This spot is right on the limb so must be fairly large if I can see it. I can;t tell anything about it yet.

 GroupsSpotsR
Northern
Hemisphere
4949
Southern
Hemisphere
1111
Total51060
NOAA Boulder Sunspot Number62
R = 10 * Groups + Spots


Observing
Location
Met Oval
Observational
Period
2030-2130 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
It started out pleasant but by 2130 the RH had climbed noticeably and my book was getting limp. It is a lot clearer tonight than it was supposed to be. I will have to go out atain about 2300 EDT for some satellites.
TransparencyVery Good
SeeingUnknown
Instruments Naked Eye observing
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
N
4.60
E
2.89
Zenith
3.77
W
3.86
S
3.93
StarMagnitude
Lyra, The Lyre
Vega
α Lyr
0.05
Hercules, The Strongman
Kornephoros
β Her
2.79
γ Her3.77
η Her3.55
π Her3.18
ζ Her2.83
ε Her3.94
Rasalgethi
α Her
3.50
variable
Draco, The Dragon
Rastaban
β Dra
2.81
Eltanin
γ Dra
2.25
Disban
ψ Dra
4.60
χ Dra3.59
Ursa Minor, The Little Bear
Polaris
α UMi
2.04
Ursa Major, The Great Bear
Alkaid
η UMa
1.9
Mizar
ζ UMa
2.4
Alcor
80 UMa
4.03
Alioth
ε UMa
1.8
Megrez
δ UMa
3.33
Phad
γ UMa
2.46
Merak
β UMa
2.39
Dhube
α UMa
1.7
Cygnus, The Swan
Deneb
α Cyg
1.3
Sadr
γ Cyg
2.22
Alberio
β Cyg
3.1
δ Cyg2.89
Gienah Cygni
ε Cyg
2.48
Aquila, The Eagle
Altair
α Aql
0.8
Tarazed
γ Aql
2.74
Ophiuchus, The Serpent-Bearer
Rasalhague
α Oph
2.10
κ Oph3.22
Cebalrai
β Oph
2.79
ε Oph3.26
Serpens Caput, The Serpent (Head of)
Unukalhai, α Ser2.67
Libra, The Scales
Zuben Elschemali
β Lib
2.63
Zuben Elgenubi
α1 & α2 Lib
5.17/2.77
Zuben Elakrab
γ Lib
3.93
Scorpius, The Scorpion
Antares
&alpah; Sco
0.98
Alniyat
θ Sco
2.91
Dschubba
δ Sco
2.34
Graffias
&beta1 Sco & &beta2 Sco
2.64/4.94
π Sco2.91
Bootes, The Heardsman
Arcturus
α Boo
0.0
ρ Boo3.60
Seginus
γ Boo
3.05
Nekkar
β Boo
3.52
δ Boo3.49
Izar
ε Boo
2.72
Corona Brealis, The Northern Crown
Alpheca
α CrB
2.25
γ CrB3.86
Nusakan
β CrB
3.70


Observing
Location
Cross Bronx Expressway and White Plains road, Bronx, NY
Observational
Period
2310-2340 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
Conditions have really gone downhill over the past two hours. There are few stars to be seen now and I can't relate any of then to eachother to figure out what is where. I saw Vega and I think Arcturus.
TransparencyPoor
SeeingUnknown
Instruments Naked Eye observing
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetIridium Flare
ConstellationLib
CategorySatellite
Time31Jul05; 1318 EDT
CommentsIridium 23 flared at Mag -1. It was higher and farther to the right than I had anticipated. I saw it but thought it was a star I had missed, possibly Arcturus which was supposed to be nearby. I was standing under a store awning and the star was behind it so I stepped out to see it and it had already faded. It was big and bright but not a blazing white, more a cream to yellow.

TargetIridium Flare
ConstellationLib
CategorySatellite
Time31Jul05; 2327 EDT
CommentsIridium 76 flared at Mag -3. This flare was to be at almost the same azumuth but a little lower so I changed my position to get an onobstructed view. It was even lower than I had anticipated but I only got a fleeting glimpse of the previous flare. It was brigher and whiter and moved left to right horizontal with the horizon. It lasted 5-10 seconds.

I am wondering again whether Heavens Above references their azimuths to degrees true or degrees magnetic. Since they know my longitude and latitude they could do either. I have written to them twice asking and have never received a reply.

TargetSatellite Pass
Constellation
CategorySatellite
Time31Jul05; 2338 EDT
CommentsLacrosse 5 flew over at Mag 2.9 but that wasn't bright enough to be seen through the clouds/haze.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.