29 July 2005

29 July 2005

Observing
Location
PSC
Observational
Period
1710-1725 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
Hot and humid. Light stratus clouds and haze. Windy. Boiling easily evident.
TransparencyGood
SeeingGood
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationCnc
CategorySolar
Time29Jul05; 1710 EDT
CommentsSunspot activity is picking up with a large active region just rotating onto the face of the sun and a small group developing more toward the center.
791
NW quadrant. It appears to me as a fairly large spot surrounded by a void area. It is not large enough for me to detect a penumbra.
792
NE quadrant. This region has been active over the past week while it was on the back side and is just rotating onto the visible disk. It is a large group that looks like it is at least 5 spots although three of them appear to me to be a single spot. I suspect that they will turn out to be many smaller spots connected by a common penumbra. The spot is surrounded by a void area.
793 ?
NE quadrant. This is a new group that is just approaching the meridian. In the SOHO photo it shows as two spots but I saw four. The p spot is the largest and the smaller f spots form the other corners of a square. There were no penumbras or void area visible. This group does not have a number posted on SpaceWeather.com yet.

 GroupsSpotsR
Northern
Hemisphere
3838
Southern
Hemisphere
000
Total3838
NOAA Boulder Sunspot Number29
R = 10 * Groups + Spots

Anthony Ayiomamitis of Athens, Greece, caught the ISS and STS-114 Discovery transiting the sun today. Based on his picture and how I perceive sunspot group 791 in my binoculars I think it should be possible for me to see the ISS transiting when the Shuttle is docked with it but it will be only slightly above my limits of detectability.


Observing
Location
Parkchester, Bronx, NY
I started out looking for stars while reading at Metropolitan Oval then looked again outside the house and finally saw something so moved around to the back of the building where there aren't as many street lights and is a bit more open sky.
Observational
Period
2130-2200 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
It wasn't all that warm but the humidity made it feel a lot worse than it was. I was trying to read at the oval but my book was getting moist so I packed it in. I kept looking for stars hoping something would go nova and burn through the clouds but didn't have any luck. Jupiter is already behind the buildings by the time it gets dark and Mars doesn't rise above them until around 0100.
TransparencyNil
SeeingUnknown
Instruments Naked-eye observing
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
N
-
E
1.27
Zenith
0.05
W
0.0
S
-
StarMagnitude
Vega
α Lyr
0.05
Deneb
α Cyg
1.27
Arcturus
α Boo
0.00

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.