23 July 2005
| Observing Location | White Plains Rd and East Tremont Ave, Bronx, NY
Lat: , Long: I got out to make my observations a lot later than usual and had trouble finding a place to see the sun. Tremont is on a ridge with nothing much high north of it for a ways so is a fairly good place for low elevation sun observations. | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 2000-2015 EDT | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | Hot and humid, light wind, low clouds.
| ||||
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular - Charlie | ||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
| Target | Sunspots | ||||||||||||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Constellation | Cnc | ||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Category | Solar | ||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Time | 23Jul05; 2000 EDT | ||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Comments | The Sun was sinking into low clouds but I had time enough to count and sketch the only spot.
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Observing Location | Met Oval
I discovered tonight that all the street signs around here say this is now Aileen B Ryan Oval. But the building addresses are still Metropolitan Oval. Google Maps show it as Ryan Oval if you zoom in on it but can't search on that. They can still find Metropolitan Oval but if you search for an address on it it finds it but lists it as Ryan Oval. I am going to continue to call it Metropolitan Oval since that is what it has been called since before I can remember. | ||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Observational Period | 2330-0130 EDT | ||||
| Atmospheric Conditions | It was still hot and humid. The clouds kept passing through but never filled the sky. The transparency between them was excellent.
| ||||
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binocular - Charlie | ||||
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
| Target | Veil Nebula, NGC 6992 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cyg |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 23Jul05; 2330 EDT |
| Comments | I am not sure I saw it but tonight would have been the night to have done it if I had had my tripod. I saw bunches and bunches of stars in Cygnus, the Milky Way. |
| Target | NGC 6940 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cyg |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 23Jul05; 2335 EDT |
| Comments | Not Seen |
| Target | ο Cyg |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cyg |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 23Jul05; 2340 EDT |
| Comments | About half way between Deneb and the break in the right wing. A wide double composed of 30 Cyg and 31 Cyg. 30 Cyg is turquoise and the dimmer of the two stars. 30 Cyg is itself an easily split double even in my hand held binocular with image stabilization turned on. The primary is bright gold with an orange secondary at 2:00. |
At 2340 wispy clouds are moving in from the west.
| Target | Sagitta |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Sge |
| Category | Constellation |
| Time | 23Jul05; 2350 EDT |
| Comments | I was only able to see the fletchings with the binoculars.
|
| Target | Brochie's Cluster, Coathanger |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Vul |
| Category | Asterism |
| Time | 23Jul05; 2350 EDT |
| Comments | If it is still visible when my scope comes together I was thinking that it would be a good first light object for me. But it nearly fills my binocular field of view so depending on what eyepiece I get it may be too large for the scope. |
| Target | M71, NGC6838 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Sge |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 23Jul05; 2355 EDT |
| Comments | It may have been detected but low confidence in it. It is a Mag 8.5 globular cluster about half way between and slightly below the arrow shaft. |
| Target | Moon |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Aqr |
| Category | Lunar |
| Time | 23Jul05; 2400 EDT |
| Comments | The terminator is just outside of Endymion and Cleomodes and passes through the center of Serenitatis. In Mare Imbrium I see two circular white areas, the lower brighter, between Archimedes and the Apenine Mountains.
[One of those areas was Palus Putredinis see above just to the right of the prominent crater, Archimedes. The other area might either be the large flat area in the lower left labeled Mare Imbrium or it may be the smaller area extending onto another map in the upper right corner.] |
| Target | M31, Andromeda Galaxy, NGC 224 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | And |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 24Jul05; 0006 EDT |
| Comments | A faint fuzzy patch left of 32 And and above 35 And. Took direct and was evident through thin clouds.
|
| Target | NGC457 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cas |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 24Jul05; 0027 EDT |
| Comments | φ Cas has one prominent star to its 2:00 and a bunch of dimmer stars above them. |
| Target | M103 and NGC663 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cas |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 24Jul05; 0032 EDT |
| Comments | These guys were playing hide and seek with the clouds so I had to keep coming back to them to finish my drawing.
|
| Target | Pelican Nebula, IC 5070 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cyg |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 24Jul05; 0046 EDT |
| Comments | Not Seen |
| Target | North American Nebula, NGC7000 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cyg |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 24Jul05; 0050 EDT |
| Comments | Not Seen Lots of Milky Way background in the area. |
| Target | NGC 6946 and NGC 6939 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Cep |
| Category | Deep Sky Object |
| Time | 24Jul05; 0055 EDT |
| Comments | This is another one that kept ducking behind clouds and I had to keep coming back to it to finish the drawing. I think I may have detected NGC6939 but an not confident of it.
|
<< Home