23 July 2005

22 July 2005

I have been searching every deli I go to for distilled water for the past two weeks. I need to clean my telescope mirror and the instructions for doing it say to use distilled water as a final rinse because it doesn't have anything in it that will be left behind on the mirror when the water evaporates. The instructions also say to put 1-2 drops of dishwashing liquid into that water to decrease its cohesion and make it sheet on the mirror so you have fewer water droplets to dry up before the evaporate and leave spots. So why won't that keep spring water or regular old tap water from spotting the mirror. I don't know. So I have been looking for little bottles and bypassing most of the gallon containers. I searched all of the bottled water sites on the Web to see what label I should be looking for although there are few I haven't seen by now. Most bottled waters are city water, spring water or filtered water and contain minerals which is what I don't want. Yesterday I finally hit pay dirt. My search turned up bottled water for sale at, of all places, Amazon. I didn't like the idea of mail ordering water but was getting desperate so went to the site. It turns out they have gallon jugs of White Rose distilled water and the vendor is NYC area Gristedes stores. Today I was out at one of the local markets and found said product on the shelves for $1.09. I am sure I would have paid more than that for one of those little bottles everyone carries around, if I had been able to find one. And it turns out I need the whole gallon anyway. The instructions in Astronomy Hacks say to pour it all over the mirror.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.