23 July 2005

21 July 2005

Observing
Location
PSC
Observational
Period
1805-1815 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
Hot. 10% cloud cover in the west. Light, gusty wind. No boiling observed.
Transparencygood
SeeingVery Good
Instruments Brunton 8x21 compact binoculars with #14 welder's gold glass - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationCnc
CategorySolar
Time21Jul05; 1805 EDT
CommentsNo sunspots were observed and none are noted on the SOHO photographs.
 GroupsSpotsR
Northern
Hemisphere
00 0
Southern
Hemisphere
0 0 0
Total 0 0 0
NOAA Boulder Sunspot Number 0
R = 10 * Groups + Spots


Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
1945-2345 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
At this time last night Jupiter was very evident on a blue sky. Tonight the sky is gray to white where there aren't any clouds and I can't see Jupiter even with the binocular.
Transparency
Seeing
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetVega, α Lyr
ConstellationLyr
CategoryStar
Time21Jul05; 2049 EDT
CommentsVisible naked-eye.

TargetArcturus
ConstellationBoo
CategoryStar
Time21Jul05; 2050 EDT
CommentsArcturus popped out of a gap in the clouds and was visible naked-eye.

It is real dark down to the south and looks like it is raining down there. The clouds to the north look thick too. I hope I don't get wet.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanet
Time21Jul05; 2058 EDT
CommentsJupiter popped out from behind a cloud and was visible naked-eye. I could see moons in the binocular but after I took off my glasses to get a better look the planet was fading back into the clouds.

TargetNegative Contrails
Constellation
CategoryAtmosphere
Time21Jul05; 2125 EDT
CommentsThree negative contrails are passing overhead

TargetNegative Contrail
Constellation
CategoryAtmosphere
Time21Jul05; 2140 EDT
CommentsA negative contrail through a cloud and a positive one through the clouds right next to it, or was that the edge of an old negative one.

TargetBrochie's Cluster, Caothanger
ConstellationVul
CategoryAsterism
Time21Jul05; 2210 EDT
CommentsFound it while killing time waiting for an Iridium flare.

TargetIridium Flare
ConstellationVir
CategorySatellite
Time21Jul05; 2244 EDT
CommentsIridium 63. About 3° above the Bearsford towers. Very dim. Moving south to north. Not visible long.

TargetMoon
ConstellationCap
CategoryLunar
Time21Jul05; 2250 EDT
CommentsI watched the Moon rising in the east and made some detail drawings of it.

At 2340 EDT the NW limb is looking very lumpy like the terminator is becoming visible among the craters there.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.