23 July 2005

20 July 2005

It was hot and humid with a few clouds and a light, uniform haze. There was a light onshore breeze and minor boiling. Light pollution was the major impediment to observing.
Observing
Location
Pier 54, Hudson River Park, New York, NY
Lat: 40.741382, Long:-74.010644
The pier is on the water (it wouldn't make much sense to put one inland) so has a fairly good view of the western horizon...all horizons in fact. It also has a very good view of some serious security lights to the south, east and north, so it is not an ideal observing location. In comparison I would guess that Carl Schurz Park is better.
Observational
Period
1945-2330 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
TransparencyGood
SeeingFair
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Celestron 7x50 binoculars - Kin
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Kin Lee

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
I should have made a limiting magnitude assessment at this new sight but didn't think about it.

TargetSunspots
ConstellationCnc
CategorySolar
Time20Jul05; 1955 EDT
CommentsThe sun was totally featureless.

TargetVenus
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time20Jul05; 2000 EDT
CommentsI located Venus easily before the sun had set by panning over and up the appropriate angular distances and it was right there in my field of view. I was not able to locate Regulus which should have been in the same field of view just to the left of Venus.
At 2015 I picked up Venus naked-eye.
At 2057 I finally saw Regulus.

TargetMercury
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time20Jul05; 2000 EDT
CommentsNot Seen
I had reversed my angular offsets from Venus and was looking too far north and not far enough down, but since I swept the whole area anyway I should have seen it is it was seeable. I think it was too deep in the schmutz.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanet
Time20Jul05; 2040 EDT
CommentsI first observed the planet naked-eye. At that time only one moon was visible at 10:00 to the planet, probably Ganymede but possibly Callisto.

TargetMoon
ConstellationSgr
CategoryLunar
Time20Jul05, 2115 EDT
CommentsIt looks full and golden yellow.

Copernicus looks like a big white festering sore with a gray inflamed area around it.

Good ray structure is visible out of Tycho.

On the left limb kust below the equator thre is a large dark marea/crater with a smaller one to its 10:00. [Grimadi and Riccioli]

TargetM18, M22 & M25
ConstellationSgr
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time20July05; 2140 EDT
CommentsOf the three the only one which was seen was M25.

An arc of 3 stars, the two right brighter. A deep smile of bright stars with some dims below

TargetM21, M8 &anp; NGC 6530
ConstellationSgr
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time20Jul05; 2150 EDT
CommentsJust a diagram in my notebook.

TargetM33, Triangulum Galaxy
ConstellationTri
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20July05; 2155EDT
CommentsNot Seen

TargetM17 & M18
ConstellationSgr
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time20Jul05; 2200 EDT
CommentsNot Seen

TargetM16
ConstellationSer
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20Julor; 2205 EDT
CommentsNot Seen

Target
Constellation
Category
Time EDT
Comments

TargetNGC(?) 611
ConstellationCyg
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time20Jul05; 2235 EDT
CommentsJust a diagram again.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.