12 July 2005

12 July 2005

It was still worm and humid but not as bad as when I got home around midnight. Between the haze and the area lighting and the lightening sky I was having trouble seeing stars to orient myself.
Observing
Location
Metropolitan Oval, The Bronx, NY
Observational
Period
0345-0430 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
TransparencyFair
SeeingGood
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetKallisto/HIP108428 Occultation
ConstellationAqr
CategoryOccultation
Time12Jul05, 0421 EDT
CommentsIt had cleared up enough that I could see some stars and I was hoping that I would be able to find my target star. But I observed from the oval where there is a round-the-clock rent-a-cop (sleeping) and I should be fairly safe. Unfortunately between the floodligths and street lights, the haze and the lightening skies I wasn't able to locate Aquarius' Water Jar naked eye so never found the target star. The only thing I am sure I saw was Mars which, although it is getting bigger, isn't going to be anywhere as big as the moon by Halloween.


Observing
Location
PSC oval
Observational
Period
1730-1745 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
Hazy, hot and humid with still air. Some boiling. The sky was kind of white and looked like a possible storm about sunset.
Transparencygood
Seeingfood
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time12Jul05; 1730 EDT
CommentsIt looks like the sun is tending toward featureless, unless something rotates onto the face from the backside quickly, which seems unlikely based on the NASA backside images. All the spots that are visible to me are west of the meridian and shrinking.
786
NW quadrant. The group is close enough to the equator that foreshortening has changed its aspect considerably since yesterday and it is getting hard to see how complex it is. I can still make out two large spots and one smaller one. They are all surrounded by a bright white void area.
788
SW quadrant. There is still one fairly large spot visible in this group. But it is not large enough for me to detect a penumbra. There is no void area surrounding it.
789
NW quadrant. The p-spot of this group is less pronounced today and it took a bit of time to locate it. The f-spot is still prominent, although not prominent enough for me to detect a penumbra, and has a void ring surrounding it on the limbward side.

 GroupsSpotsR
Northern
Hemisphere
2525
Southern
Hemisphere
1111
Total3636
NOAA Boulder Sunspot Number68
R = 10 * Groups + Spots

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.