11 July 2005

10 July 2005

Observing
Location
Parkchester South Condominium oval, The Bronx, NY
Observational
Period
1745-1800 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
The skies appeared clear with no haze but after I went to dinner I was sitting on the benches reading and I noticed a plane flying over and it was very fuzzy from haze so it was there but below the perceptible level when looking at the sun through the filtered binoculars. It was hot with strong gusting wind but there was no evidence of boiling.
TransparencyGood
SeeingExcellent
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSunspots
ConstellationGem
CategorySolar
Time10Jul05; 1745 EDT
CommentsThe sun seems to be settling down. The spots look smaller to me today than they did yesterday.
785
NW quadrant. The group is surrounded by a void area. There are a couple of larger spots but nothing large enough that a penumbra is obvious. The group seems to be dissipating.
788
SW quadrant. I am seeing one large spot with a smaller one right next to it. There is no penumbra or void.
789
NE quadrant. There are two dark spots here with no penumbra or void area surrounding them. The small smudge spot that was between them yesterday is gone today. Peter and I discussed this tonight and both had made the same observation.

 GroupsSpotsR
Northern
Hemisphere
21030
Southern
Hemisphere
1212
Total31242
NOAA Boulder Sunspot Number142
R = 10 * Groups + Spots


Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2045-0030 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
It started out clear then light clouds crept in for a while and ended up pretty clear again. There was no wind to speak of and the temperature was warm and comfortable -- probably in the upper 70s.
TransparencyGood
SeeingVery Good
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Tacahaschi 102 refractor -- Peter
Audubon 6x16 monocular - Kin
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac
Kin Lee

I didn't make any notes or recordings so this is a list of targets in rough order of observation but with no times or other details attached.

TargetVenus and Mercury
ConstellationLeo
CategoryPlanet
Time10Jul05, 2045 EDT
CommentsWhen I arrived Peter and Kin were already set up and showing a large crowd of people Jupiter so I set up on Venus. Kin was at the eyepieces when Mercury finally became visible. I stayed with them until they dropped behind the trees.

TargetJupiter
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanet
Time10Jul05 ~2100 EDT
CommentsI got a look at Jupiter through Peter's scope and could see all four moons and the North and South Equatorial Bands. The Great Red Spot was just rotating onto the face of the planet at the right edge of the bottom (North) EB and that band was cut off at a / angle before the limb. The GRS looked khaki colored. In my binoculars Io was so close to the planet that it was hard to separate it at times when the seeing went soft.

TargetMoon
ConstellationLeo
CategoryLunar
Time10Jul05
CommentsThe moon was just below the belly of Leo near M95, M96 and M105, but I can't see these galaxies when there is no moon so there was no point trying to find them in the same field of view with the 4d12h, 17% illuminated crescent moon. The moon looked nice with afterglow to the naked eye but I don't remember it being strong enough to light up any features. All of Mare Crisium was visible and there was a prominent crater, probably Macrobius, visible just coming out of the shadow between Crisium and Mare Tranquillitatis.

Targetε Lyrae, The Double Double
ConstellationLyr
CategoryDouble Stars
Time10Jul05
CommentsVega was in a notch in the trees behind us so I got it and the Double Double in the field just to give people something different to look at. The double was very wide. I could definitely see a stripe of black between the components of ε 1 Lyr. I could only split ε 2 Lyr by throwing it slightly out of focus and then the secondary appeared to the 4:00.

TargetM57, The Ring Nebula
ConstellationLyr
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time10Jul05
CommentsAs long as I was in the neighborhood and the sky was fairly clear I swung down to M57. There were lots of stars visible but I am not sure that I saw it in the binoculars. I keep getting the sense that there is something there but northing I can point to. Peter got it in his scope and I saw it there at low power and when I was taking my eye away the whole in the middle of it popped into view beautifully just like a picture in a book but it was only a fleeting view. I wanted to compare the field stars around it in Peter's scope with what I was seeing in the binoculars but there were still too many people there wanting to see things to hog the scope long enough to make a drawing.

TargetISS
ConstellationCam, Cas, And
CategorySatellite
Time10Jul05; 2149 EDT
CommentsKin and I moved over to the official TotL observatory to get a low view to Manhattan North and saw the ISS pass over top of the police precinct through Cas. It was not all that bright but moved quickly across the sky covering nearly the entire distance visible between the trees. It seemed like it was later by my clocks than it should have been. This has been a recurring theme so I need to check my clocks with the Internet clock and see if I have drifted. My Eddie Bauer pocket watch seems to be the most accurate timepiece I have ever owned so I suspect that it is within 30 seconds of the correct time. With a Space Shuttle launch scheduled for this Wednesday I also need to check on visible passes for the 13-16 and see if there will be a chance of seeing the ISS and the Space Shuttle individually.

TargetNGC6???
ConstellationCyg
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time10Jul05
CommentsAn open cluster in the heart of Cygnus. Coming off of Sadr towards Deneb there are two fairly bright stars, Yale 7800 and Yale 7795 that show in Planetarium. The NGC is just to the tailward of these two stars. I saw it in Peter's scope but don't remember it and did not try for it in my binoculars.

TargetM22
ConstellationSgr
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time10Jul05; ~0000-0015 EDT
CommentsM22 was easy to find working off the handle of the Teapot

TargetM28
ConstellationSgr
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time10Jul05; ~0010-0020 EDT
CommentsI was having a lot of trouble finding to top of the Teapot. Sgr had just southed and was getting over into the geggenschein. I eventually got there by working off the spout and following the line of bright stars \ to the top. I don't remember which of the Ms I saw around there, I know I saw one and not another and don't remember which category M28 falls into.

TargetM24, Milky Way Patch, NGC6603
ConstellationSgr
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time10Jul05; 0015-0030 EDT
CommentsAs long as I was in the neighborhood Peter wanted my to try for M24 again since I had found it before and felt that what we had seen was much larger than what was depicted in Starry Night Starter. I found it without problem jumping off the handle of the Teapot's top to a shallow arc of three stars with a brighter star off to its lower left. Peter confirmed the identification. It takes up about 1/3 of the FOV when placed at the top of the field. Peter described it as looking like a genie's lamp with the handle to the left and the base at the bottom.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.