09 April 2005

8 April 2005

Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
1700-1900 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
The eclipse was scheduled to occur just as the sky was supposed to begin a clearing trend. Looking out my window to the east in the afternoon I could see a few stripes of light blue and it looked like it might have been starting to break up. But from the subway platform looking out to the west on the way downtown it didn't look so good. Down in the park it was overcast with some denser stripes of cloud. About an hour before sunset a stripe of clear sky appeared just above the horizon, It was comfortable weather while you were sitting in the sun with temperatures in the low 60s and light wind. It cooled off as soon as the sun went behind the San Remo.
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Tacahashi 22x60 binoculars with shade 14 welder's glass - Peter
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac

Target
ConstellationPsc
CategoryEclipse
Time8Apr05; 1745 EDT
CommentsA partial eclipse was not predicted for this far north, but Planetarium and Cartes du Ciel were showing that the limb of the moon would be tangent to that of the sun. I went to the park in hopes that it would clear off on the chance that
  1. the partial eclipse might occur farther north than predicted
Both events were longshots and neither occurred.

Early on the sun was up in the clouds. When it got down to around 8º it got into an area of the sky where there were no clouds and I got some nice crisp views of it. Sunspots 749 and 750 were both see along the equator which had a \ orientation due to field rotation. 749 did not initially appear but became a small speck near the center of the sun after extended observation. 750 was much higher on the disk and appeared larger but still small and composed of at least two lobes.

I had hoped to possibly see a hint of darkening next to the Sun where the Moon was in silhouette but this was not observed in the Baader filter. Ben says it might be observed through a Hydrogen-alpha filter which would reveal the Sun's corona. So far there are no images of this in the Spaceweather.com image gallery.
Sky & Telescope article.
A Viewer's Guide from Space.com
Final update from Space.com
CNN covers the event.




Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2030-0100 EST
Atmospheric
Conditions
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Fujinon 10x70 binoculars - Ben
Tacahashi 22x60 binoculars - Peter
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Ben Cacace
Peter Tagatac

Naked-eye
Limiting
Magnitude
Observations
The sky wasn't really that clear so no attempt was made to establish a limiting magnitude although Peter and I did talk a bit about the concept.

TargetMintaka
ConstellationOri
CategoryDouble Stars
Time8Apr05; 1948 EDT
CommentsMintaka, δ Ori, is very bright with a very dim secondary at about 1:33-1:30. Both appear white.

TargetUnknown Satellite
ConstellationOri and Tau
CategorySatellite
Time8Apr05;
CommentsI picked up a satellite in the binoculars while looking at the Sword. It tracked up past Mintaka and out toward Aldeberan. I lost it when I took my eye away from the binoculars to try to point at it for Alexander. The only satellite listed in Heavens-Above on my Palm in this timeframe was Shenzhou 5; Mag 3.1; becoming visible at 2059 in the west; maximum elevation at 2102 in the north; disappearing 2102 in the northeast. The track doesn't seem to be right and the time is too early.

TargetM67
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time8Apr05; 2005 EDT
CommentsI was right on the object but wasn't seeing anything. Peter resolved two stars but when I came back to it later he thought they might have been foreground stars since M67 us supposed to be a faint glow.

TargetM44, Praesape, Beehive Cluster
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time8Apr05; 2001 EDT
CommentsThe Beehive nearly fills my field of view. I counted 21 easily seen stars in my binoculars with many more identifiable dimmer stars that might have been counted with more careful study. Later in the evening I observed the cluster through Ben's Fujinon 10x70s (first light) and only counted 15 stars but I did not refocus for my eyes and didn't want to hog the optics or probably would have seen a few more.

TargetCollinder 71
ConstellationOri
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time8Apr05; 2020 EDT
CommentsA cluster of stars around the Belt of Orion that I found as a string of stars extending down between Alnilam and Mintaka then fishooks under Alnilam. There is a kite just above the line of the belt and another much larger one above that in Orion's chest.

Peter says Collinder 71 has a good range of magnitude stars and would make a good object to test the limiting magnitude of my binoculars. I will have to figure out how to have CDC print magnitude values for all the stars.

The difference in contrast between binoculars of different magnifications was evident when comparing the views of Collinder 71 between Peter's binoculars and mine.


Targetσ Ori
ConstellationOri
CategoryDouble Stars
Time8Apr05; 2033 EDT
CommentsPlanetarium says this is a quadruple star system. I can split it as a double easy. When I throw it out of focus I see an indication of another star which appears to be at its 8:00. This system also has a Struve number.

TargetM44, Praesape, Beehive Cluster
ConstellationCnc
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time8Apr05; 2058 EDT
CommentsThe Beehive nearly fills my field of view. I counted 21 easily seen stars in my binoculars with many more identifiable dimmer stars that might have been counted with more careful study. Later in the evening I observed the cluster through Ben's Fujinon 10x70s (first light) and only counted 15 stars but I did not refocus for my eyes and didn't want to hog the optics or probably would have seen a few more.

TargetM1
ConstellationTau
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time8Apr05; 2105 EDT
CommentsWas not seen

TargetM36
ConstellationAur
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time8Apr05; 2110 EDT
CommentsNebulosity with a few resolved stars. Confirmed by Peter

TargetSaturn
ConstellationGem
CategoryPlanets
Time8Apr05; 2110 EDT
CommentsIn Peter's binoculars I could see a separation between the planet and the rings but could not detect any structure in either.

TargetM38
ConstellationAur
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time8Apr05; 2115 EDT
CommentsNot seen. It should have been in the right cheek of the Cheshire Cat.

TargetCheshire Cat
ConstellationAur
CategoryAsterism
Time8Aug05, 2115 EDT
CommentsA large arc of stars forming the smile, three stars on the left side of the smile and two stars on the right. Tow widely spaced stars form the eyes but are closer to the lips than they should be. Peter says there are some dim stars between the eyes and lips but I can't see them.

TargetM37
ConstellationAur
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time8Apr05; 2130 EDT
CommentsNot seen although I was in the right place.

TargetM5
ConstellationSer
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time8Apr05; 2220 EDT
Comments

TargetM101, Pinwheel Galaxy
ConstellationUMa
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time9Apr05; 0015 EDT
CommentsNot Seen

TargetM81 & M82
ConstellationUMa
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time9Apr05; 0010 EDT
CommentsNot Seen

TargetM40
ConstellationUMa
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time9Apr05; 0030 EDT
CommentsThis one needs to be looked at again and a finder chart printed for it. None of us are really sure where it is and we may or may not have seen it.

Peter's 22x60 binoculars have the most contrast showing the darkest sky. In 15x50s the sky, which I normally feel is very black, looks washed out and gray. The sky in Ben's 10x70s is even brighter.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.