05 April 2005

4 April 2005

Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2130-0030 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
When I returned home from dinner the skies were clearing out from the west which agreed with the satellite loop I had observed so I headed downtown. By the time I got to the subway the clouds had filled in again but I kept going. At the park I found Derrick and Jessica setting up under mostly cloudy skies. There was some clear air low in the west but that was about it. By 2200 EDT it was mostly clear with good transparency but the wind was around 7 so I would say the seeing was fair to good. While observing things a band of cloud would sometimes move in front of them but mostly the star would just wink out in imperceptible haze or high clouds. By 0015 it was getting a little chilly, the temperature having dropped to 42º by then, and the clouds were starting to fill back in from the NW. It looks like we must have been on the edge of a front that kept moving NE and SW.
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Orion SkyView Pro 6LT EQ Reflector - Derrick
Orion ShortTubr 4.5 EQ Reflector - Derrick
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway
Derrick
Jessica

TargetSword of Orion
ConstellationOri
CategoryAsterism
Time4Apr05; 2215 EDT
Comments
NGC1981
The dual arcs of stars were easily seen.
M42/M43
Some nebulosity was visible, mainly above and to the right of the Trapezium.
Sigma 747

TargetM78
ConstellationOri
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time4Apr05; 2230 EDT
CommentsIt was difficult to see but appeared as a light patch of sky as I swept the binoculars across it. It would not take direct vision. Should be tried with a nebula filter.

TargetM3
ConstellationBoo
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time4Apr05; 2259 EDT
CommentsHopped to it from ρ Boo. No notes were made.

TargetPherkad
ConstellationUMi
CategoryDouble Star
Time4Apr05; 2310 EDT
CommentsI was not able to see the secondary naked eye but it split widely in the binoculars. Very unequal in magnitude.

TargetM40
Constellation
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time4Apr05; 2312 EDT
CommentsFrom Megrez, the dimmest star of the big dipper where the bowl joins the handle, go out through 70 UMa about 1/4 that distance again. Appeared to be slightly yellowish.

TargetM13
Constellation
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time4Apr05; 2326 EDT
CommentsEasy to see just above the top edge of Hercules' torso.

TargetM92
Constellation
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time4Apr05; 2331 EDT
CommentsSmall and faint. Is the apex of a right triangle with two brighter stars.

TargetLyra
ConstellationLyr
CategoryDouble Stars
Time4Apr05; 2335 EDT
CommentsI had the &epsolon; Lyr, ζ Lyr and δ Lyr doubles in the same field of view with Vega. I had to move my eye around a bit to stretch the field of view. They are all different distances apart.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.