21 April 2005

19 April 2005

Observing
Location
TotL
Observational
Period
2130-0015 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
This is another day when I got burned by Clear Sky Clock. They even sent me email this afternoon saying observing would be good tonight but it just aint so. There was haze blocking out most of the stars below 40º. The temperature was in the 70s and I didn't even have to put a sweater on under my light jacket. There have been gusts of warm air but no noticeable sustained wind. I would say seeing was good for binoculars and seeing was fair. Around 2330 EDT it got real crisp from around the moon up to the zenith but this is neck breaking territory for binoculars.
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetMoon
ConstellationLeo
CategoryLunar
Time19Apr05; 2135 EDT
CommentsThe Moon is in Leo just below a line between Denebola and Regulus.

Atmospheric boiling was evident when observing the Moon.

The terminator is passing just east of Sinus Iridum and passes down through the eastern portion of Mare Imbrium and the crater Delisle. Then just east of craters Gassendi and through Mare Humorum and the crater Doppilmayer then I loose it in the jumble of features near the southern limb.

The strong ray that passes north through Mare Serenitatis from crater Menelaus is evident but I do not see the southward portion of it that goes down near Tycho. Another strong ray leaves Tycho and goes past crater Nicollet. There is a hint of ray structure around Erastosyhenes.

The moon looks very flat tonight except in the far south and right along the terminator.

There is a hint a mare on the SW limb where Mare Australe was seen a few days ago but there is too much blue chromatic aberration there to see the limb well.

It looks like there is a central peak filling Gassendi but there is no indication of one on either of my maps.

Other features seen:

FeatureType
Reinholdcrater
Murchisoncrater

TargetJupiter
ConstellationVir
CategoryPlanets
Time19Apr05; 2147 EDT
CommentsOne moon off the trailing limb and three out in front of the planet.
[ E  O I   G     C ]

TargetM101, Pinwheel Galaxy, NGC5457
ConstellationUMa
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time19Apr05; 2157 EDT
CommentsNot Seen.
I hopped to the neighborhood by continuing the line from Alioth through Mizar through four fairly equally spaced, equally bright stars in the Mag 5.7 range. 86 UMa is in the center of the field of view and two bright stars are on the 1:00 edge of the field. M101 should be down about .5-.75º from the 7:00 edge of the field.


TargetM3, NGC5272
ConstellationCVn
CategoryDeep Sky Objects
Time19Apr05; 2210 EDT
CommentsI was hopping up to M3 off of ρ Boo when a passer by stopped and wanted to see something. After I showed them Jupiter I didn't go back to M3 since it is a dim and complicated hop. I should have gone back and tried it again to get used to the hop.

TargetM35, NGC2158
ConstellationGem
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time19Apr05; 2213 EDT
CommentsNot seen.
I had to star hop here all the way from Castor. μ Gem and η Gem are both bright, orange stars. 1 Gem is a dimmer white star. Between η Gem and 1 Gem there are three stars, concentrated toward η Gem. Taking the star that is in the center of the line and extending a line out to the right to just above 1 Gem and M35 should be in that neighborhood. It is about half way between 1 Gem and 5 Gem but is going behind the trees now.


TargetPropus, η Gem, 7 Gem
ConstellationGem
CategoryDouble Stars
Time19Apr05; 2233 EDT
CommentsThe primary is orange with a dimmer, white secondary to its 8:00.

TargetM104, Sombrero Galaxy, NGC4594
ConstellationVir
CategoryDeep Space Object
Time19Apr05; 2252 EDT
CommentsNot seen.
I tried hopping to it off of Algorab, &delta Crv, but got lost so ending up taking the longer hop from Spica instead.
At 1:00 there are three stars on a diagonal in decreasing magnitude toward the center of the field. One bright star at 9:00.

TargetM57, Ring Nebula, NGC6720
ConstellationLyr
CategoryDeep Sky Object
Time19Apr05; 2300 EDT
CommentsNot seen.
About half way between β Lyr and γ Lyr.

Tonight has been another night of searching and not finding. But at least I am getting the star hops down and finding the right neighborhoods.

The Moon is so bright it is casting a distinct shadow of me and my tripod on the ground.

At 2300 EDT the sprinkler heads for the baseball diamond infields went off for one minute. At midnight the heads for the grass went off and a few of them got the walk wet in the NE corner.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.