18 April 2005

16 April 2005

Observing
Location
Parkchester, E177 St subway platform, The Bronx, NY
Observational
Period
0500-0530 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
The sky appearedmilky. The big dipper looked verysubdued. There was lots of stray light on the subway platform and it was more annoying that it has been when I have previously used this location for planetary observations. I think I would have been better off this morning staying on the street but with little lead time for scouting out a suitable location I opted for the high ground.
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetISS and Soyuz TMA-6
Constellation
CategorySatellites
Time16Apr05; 0514 EDT
Comments
Skywatchers in the Northeastern part of the US should set their alarm clocks for around 5 a.m. EDT on Saturday and head outside to get a view of International Space Station and -- as a bonus -- a Soyuz TMA-6 spacecraft that will be carrying three astronauts up to the Space Station.

From the Greater New York Area, the ISS should first become visible low toward the western horizon beginning at 5:13 a.m. It will move along a projected path that will take it from the west to the northeast in about four and a half minutes. The Space Station should appear as a whitish "star" with a slight yellowish tinge, moving with a steady speed across the sky. It should appear brightest -- perhaps magnitude -1 -- as it passes through the handle of the Big Dipper at about 5:14. A minute later it will closely pass by Polaris (the North Star) and begin to noticeably fade.

Following a short distance behind the Space Station, another, smaller "moving star" perhaps about magnitude +1 or +2 should be visible. This will be a Soyuz TMA-6 spacecraft which lifted off from the Baikonur Cosmodrome in Kazakhstan late Thursday night. The Soyuz will be carrying the Expedition 11 crew to the Space Station.

The Soyuz spacecraft is expected to dock with the ISS late Saturday night. This means that both Space Station and Soyuz will appear as two separate entities as they speed across the dawn sky early on Saturday morning. The three-man crew consists of: Roberto Vittori, from Italy, Russian cosmonaut Sergei Krikalev, who is to be the Expedition 11 Commander on the ISS, and NASA astronaut John L. Phillips, who will be the Expedition 11 Flight Engineer.

The track of the ISS on Saturday morning from 5:12 to 5:17 a.m. EDT will run from southern Indiana, to western New York and up into northern Maine and New Brunswick. Those directly under this track will see the ISS/Soyuz tandem pass directly overhead, but those within a couple of hundred miles of the track should also be able to see both vehicles move across their sky on a general southwest-to-northeast path.

For other parts of the country, you can check to see if the ISS is scheduled to pass over your neighborhood by going to www.heavens-above.com. Note, however, that Heavens-Above does NOT provide a listing for the Soyuz TMA-6 spacecraft!

Joe Rao
Hayden Planetarium
New York City


graphics from Heavens-Above.com

I saw the ISS fly through the handle of the Big Dipper near Alioth but it was over two minutes early by the clock in my Palm. I started a timer and observed for over five minutes longer but did not see another satellite.

I found two entries in my Palm calendar that were placed there when I imported data from CalSky in preparation for last night's observing session. The first shows:
ISS Appears
Accurate time: 5h14m38.5s
Appears 5h13m05s -0.5m az:272.0d W h:20.6d
Transit 5h14m39s -1.0m az:329.8d NNW h:37.8d dist:558.9km alt:356.8km
Disappears 5h19m32s 5.2m az: 49.5d NE
And the second shows:
Satellit ProgrsM 52(Dk) (28624 2005-7-A
Accurate time: 5h14m42.7s
Appears 5h13m09s 3.5m az:272.1d W h:20.6d
Transit 5h14m43s 3.0m az:329.8d NNW h:37.7d dist:559.8km alt:356.8km
Disappears 5h19m37s 9.2m az: 49.4d NE
It looks like these two events were a lot closer together than the Joe Rao release indicated and I was probably setting an alarm when Soyuz passed. I still should have seen Soyuz after the ISS had passed as I looked back at it before moving back to the Big Dipper to catch Soyuz, and Soyuz was supposed to be grighter than the Dipper stars.




Observing
Location
Palisades Mall, Nyack, NY
Lat: Long:
Observational
Period
0845-0915 EDT
Atmospheric
Conditions
Clear and mild. No perceptible clouds
Instruments Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway

TargetSun
ConstellationAri
CategorySolar
Time16Apr05; 0845 EDT
CommentsWhile waiting for the bus to Rockland Community College at the Palisades Mall I observed the sun. I could only make out sunspots 752 and 754 with my hand held binoculars.



Observing
Location
Northeast Astronomy Forum (NEAF), Rockland Community College, Suffern, NY
Lat: Long:
Observational
Period
Atmospheric
Conditions
Instruments Miscellaneous Hydrogen Alpha-filtered scopes - NEAF
Observing
Party
Charlie Ridgway Public observing at NEAF

TargetSun
Constellation
CategorySolar
Time16Apr05; 1000 EDT
CommentsThere were lots of big scopes set up in the court yeard of the college for solar observing. They all had hydrogen alpha filters on them. I think they should have had some white light filters also so people can see and appreciate the difference between the two technologies. Most of the scopes were big ones based on TeleVue optics with Coronado filters. They primarily used the same finder which looked like it was home made and very simple to construct. But they are attached to the scopes with velcro so I don't know who you align them, especially since the sun was spilling over the edges of all of the scopes. Some people were having a lot of trouble finding the sun so maybe this finder isn't as good as it looks. I looked through a bunch of scopes and saw the sun's corona and some filaments but no spectacular prominences.

TargetNEAF
Constellation
CategoryStar Party
Time16Apr05; 1000-1715 EDT
CommentsThe vendor area seems to have expanded since I was last at the show a few years ago. I atended a good workshop on buying your first scope by Sky and Telescope and a lecture on celestial cartography by Wil Tirion.

Disclaimer
This is my personal record of my astronomical observations. It was written for my personal reference. The only reason it is in a blog is that a blog is a very convenient way to get the records formatted more or less uniformly and they will, hopefully, have greater longevity at Google where the servers are backed up than on my hard drive which never gets backed up. I occasionally include copyrighted material in my posts. I do this to make it convenient for me to access things I think I might want to refer to again. I think of this like making a photocopy of something I read that I put in a file where I can find it when I want it. As I understand copyright law, as explained in the DVD series Copyright Compliance by Chip Taylor Communications, this use is allowed under the Fair Use doctrine since I am not making any money on this blog, I don’t publicize the blog, and only occasionally post small excerpts of copyrighted works.


Disclosure
This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog does not accept any form of advertising, sponsorship, or paid insertions. We write for our own purposes. However, we may be influenced by our background, occupation, religion, political affiliation or experience.

The owner(s) of this blog will never receive compensation in any way from this blog.

The owner(s) of this blog is not compensated to provide opinion on products, services, websites and various other topics. The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owners. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.

This blog does not contain any content which might present a conflict of interest.