15 April 2005
| Observing Location | TotL |
|---|---|
| Observational Period | 1825-2000 |
| Atmospheric Conditions | |
| Instruments |
Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars with Baader AstroSolar filter film - Charlie
Tacahashi 102 - Peter Orion SkyView Pro 6LT EQ Reflector - Derrick |
| Observing Party |
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac Kin Lee Derrick Kevin (Meetup) |
| Target | Sunspots |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Ari |
| Category | Solar |
| Time | 15Apr05; 1825 EDT |
| Comments | Three sunspots were visible. At the bottom of the sun's disk moving toward the leading limb was 750(?) which was tiny and not immediately visible. 752 was the most prominent feature a little above the meridian and about on the equator. Below the equator and trailing 754 by a little bit was 754 which was again a small spot but not as small as 750. There was a possible penumbra around 750 and 752 As I watched a jet flew across the face of the disk and was visible in sharp silhoette as was its contrail. This was very interesting to observe as the contrail showed vortexes and dissipated. Boiling was bad when the sin got down near the roof of the Bearsford. I could tell when there were gusts of wind as the heat from a smoke stack would blow across the sun and the boiling would be horrendous for the duration of the gust. The ecliptic has moved to the north as the sun is going behind the towers of the Bearsford before it drops below the roofline as it was the day we observed the 1 day crescent moon a week ago. |
| Target | Moon | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Constellation | Gem | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Category | Lunar | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Time | 15Apr05; 1852 EDT | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Comments | Something was catching light strongly in the inside wall of Mare Crisium, probably Yerkes. Rays eminating from Jenssen and through Mare Serenitatis were visible. Rima Aridaneus looks like a white stripe above two craters. There is a wide white diagonal stripe on upper Mare Serenitatis that is broken in the middle. The area wetween Mare Crissium and Mare Tranquilitatis looks like a high mesa. It is easier to ID things in the norht where there are not craters on top of craters and the marea tend to seperate things. It looks like libration is showing the lower right quadrant now. The following features were identified:
|
| Target | Iridium 23 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Leo |
| Category | Satellite |
| Time | 15Apr05, 1851 EDT |
| Comments | CalSky predicted this event but I did not observe it. I was looking in the right area at the right time and after acording to my Palm clock. The Palm clock may be running a couple of minutes slow now for some reason. |
| Observing Location | TotL |
|---|---|
| Observational Period | 2100-2300 EDT |
| Atmospheric Conditions | It was comfortable with good seeing and transparency and no clouds. |
| Instruments |
Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
Tacahashi 102 - Peter Orion SkyView Pro 6LT EQ Reflector - Derrick |
| Observing Party |
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac Kin Lee Derrick Kevin (Meetup) |
| Target | Iridium 921tum |
|---|---|
| Constellation | |
| Category | Satellites |
| Time | 15Apr05, 2051 EDT |
| Comments | This is a tumbling Iridium satellite that has a long period flash. I planned to leave the Meetup meeting long enough to observe it but when I checked the data at the meeting I found that it is only a Mag 9.x object which would be around the limits of my binoculars and hard to spot unless I knew exactly where to look and got lucky to see a flash when it was in my field of view. |
My digital recorder kicked off while I was observing so I lost some of the notes from the session after the Meetup meeting.
| Target | Moon |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Leo |
| Category | Lunar |
| Time | 15Apr05; 2210 EDT |
| Comments | Observed through Peter's Scope. There are some long lines paralleling the wall of Serenititis that look like slumping. The area of Nectaris that we observed the other night looks much flatter tonight. |
| Target | Sirius |
|---|---|
| Constellation | CMa |
| Category | Stars |
| Time | 15Apr05; 2215 EDT |
| Comments | Canis Major is setting and Sirius is flashing red, blue and green through the atmosphere. |
| Target | Castor |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Gem |
| Category | Double Stars |
| Time | 15Apr05; 2220 EDT |
| Comments | Observed in Peter's scope. At low power I could tell that it was a double but the stars overlapped creating a figure 8 of light with a wide waist. At high power I was able to split it. |
| Target | Cor Caroli |
|---|---|
| Constellation | CVn |
| Category | Double Stars |
| Time | 15Apr05; 2228 EDT |
| Comments | Seen in Peter's Scope a wide double but I was not able to see it in the hand held binoculars. They are unequal in brightness but I did not see a difference in color. |
This is a delayed report of an experiment we performed a few days ago. There is a technique for increasing the focal length of optical instruments be redcing the aperture. I have searched the web for it and only found references to doing it with Newtonian reflectors but Ben and Peter say it will work with any optics. Ben suggested setting the binoculars up on a building and reducing the aperture to see if the building gets bigger but I have never gotten around to doing it. I had my field occulting disks with me so gave it a try. I looked at one of the CPS buildings that nearly filled the field of view in height. Then I held the occulters that reduce the aperture by ~25% in front of the binocular objectives and the image fot a little bit dimmer but the building did not get any bigger. Next I tried it with the ~50% reducer and the image got noticeable darker but no bigger. The technique does not work with binoculars. Maybe the reducer needs to be behind the objective for it to work. Reducing the aperture to 50% does make for more comfortable viewing of the sun and i suspect it will be good for the moon too.
<< Home