15 March 2005
| Observing Location | McGraw Ave & Virginia Ave, The Bronx, NY |
|---|---|
| Observational Period | 1625-1640 |
| Atmospheric Conditions | It looked very clear but when the sky turned deep blue and I swept the binoculars over it I could see areas of mottled gray so there is haze there that was imperceptible while the sun was out. The temperature was in the low 40s with a moderate and gusty wind out of the west. |
| Instruments | Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie |
| Observing Party | Charlie Ridgway |
| Target | Mercury |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Psc |
| Category | Planets |
| Time | 15Mar05 1835 EST |
| Comments | I took the binoculars with me to dinner with the idea of stopping to observe Mercury on the way home. It was lower tonight than I remembered it and a little hard to find. I found it first with the binoculars sweeping the sky. I thought I detected more phase tonight and in the area where my brain tells me I should see it but it was clear enough that the planet was flaring and I couldn't hold the binoculars steady enough for a good view between the wind and dead IS batteries. |
| Observing Location | TotL |
|---|---|
| Observational Period | 2100-2230 EST |
| Atmospheric Conditions | It was windy and gusting on top of that. The temperature was freezing when we left but the wind chill index was down around 25º. There weren't a lot of clouds around but transparency wasn't great. And I was looking into the SW where all the moisture was being lit up by the GE building and Times Square. |
| Instruments |
Canon 15x50 Image Stabilized binoculars - Charlie
10" Teleport - Peter |
| Observing Party |
Charlie Ridgway
Peter Tagatac |
| Target | NGC2353 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Mon |
| Category | Deep Space Objects |
| Time | 15Mar05; 2121 EST |
| Comments | It took me about 15 minutes to find this cluster. It was easiest for me to see when I rocked the focus. My star hop to this object is from θ CMa, the nose of the Big Dog to an equilateral triangle of bright stars toward Orion. From there I follow a question mark of dimmer stars curving back toward the ear of the dog. Near the bottom of the question mark is a bright star. I use this star and the two above it and a smaller, mirror image arc opposite it. There is a dim star between the two arcs and the cluster is just to the upper right of it. It is about 2/3 the distance from the arc on the right to the dim star. Confirmed by Peter. |
| Target | M50, NGC2323 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Mon |
| Category | Deep Space Objects |
| Time | 15Mar05; 2125 EST |
| Comments | Audubon says this open cluster can bee seen with binoculars but it was difficult to pull it out of the geggenschein from Times Square. All I got of it was two faint, diffuse points of light in a vertical orientation. Peter saw one more star there. Using the same question mark as described above, M50 is off the top of the question mark where it jogs down. It is almost as far beyond the two horizontal stars as the top of the as they are distant from eachother and forms a near equilateral triangle with the two stars of the jog. Confirmed by Peter. |
| Target | M47, NGC2422 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | Pup |
| Category | Deep Space Objects |
| Time | 15Mar05; 2137 EST |
| Comments | This looks like a tetrahedron (3-sided pyramid) viewed from an oblique angle so you can see all of the corners and the top. Peter calls it the Scottish Terrier. Confirmed by Peter. |
| Target | NGC2362 |
|---|---|
| Constellation | CMa |
| Category | Deep space Objects |
| Time | 15Mar05; 2156 EST |
| Comments | A small open cluster off the rump of the Big Dog, Wezen, θ CMa. It forms a nearly right triangle with Wezen and Aludra, η Cma, the tail star. |
| Target | Hydra, the Sea Serpent | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|---|
| Constellation | Hya | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Category | Constellations | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Time | 15Mar05; 2210 EST | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
| Comments | Peter pointed out Corvus which I saw within the past couple of weeks but didn't recognize even though it was in the same area of the sky and I remembered having been there. Then he reminded me of having seen three other stars to the south and I remembered what it was and that Corvus and Crater are right on top of Corvus. We found the head of the snake and I identified all the major stars there.
| ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
<< Home